GRAVELLY NEWS

Monday, April 03, 2006

Take Those Vitamins!


Gravelly News by Glenna Goodson

A little girl dressed in her Sunday best, was running as fast as she could, trying not to be late for Bible class. As she ran she prayed,"Dear Lord, please don't let me be late!!Dear Lord please don't let me be late!" While she was running and praying, she tripped on a curb and fell, getting her clothes dirty and tearing her dress. She got up, brushed herself off, and started running again. As she ran she once again began to pray,"Dear Lord, please don't let me be late---But please don't SHOVE me either!"

I had not checked on the progress of Olger Fowler, our 105 year old senior citizen of Gravelly, in quite awhile, so I called Larry Aikman this week to ask about Mr. Fowler. Mr. Fowler has been in the Danville nursing home for several months now. He was doing really well, but last Thursday, he fell and broke his hip. He was taken to Russellville hospital for possible surgery. But Mr. Fowler opted not to have surgery. So he was taken back to the nursing home. He began having some problems and he was taken back to the Russellville hospital. Larry said he and Shirley were with him Sunday night and he seemed to bebreathing better. Shirley was with him at the hospital, Monday, when I called Larry.

I met Austin Anthony at the Nola store last week. Austin is Larry and Shirley Aikman's grandson. Larry told me Austin was Paul's older brother, because he knew I really think a lot of Paul.Austin was very interesting to talk with and he told me he was going into the Coast Guard next month. I said"Another Aikman in the military" and Larry said ,"it runs in our genes."

Johnny Turner,Roy Fickle,and Gary Garner are all back home from the hospital. We all say"Praise the Lord." It was so good to see Johnny back to church Wednesday night. He goes to Little Rock for medical tests this Tuesday.

I went to the Two Rivers School board meeting last Monday night at F.V. It was interesting.The Board wenbt into executive session, after discussing several activities pertaining to our district, and as theywent into executive session , we guests adjourned to the gym until they finished. The session was mostly concerning the hiring and rehiring of teachers.Concerning, F.V. school, Ronnie Hance will no longer be one of our coaches, but instead will go to the Alternative Learning Center at Casa. I will really miss Ronnie. He was always so helpful and good to us at Reunion time in Sept.He and his ball teams put the plastic on the gym floor for us and brought in tables and chairs andthen took the tables and chairs down for us and helped us in other ways. But good luck to Ronnie!!

Loucindaand I made a trip to Russellville Tuesday. We swung by Dardanelle to eat at a Chinese Restaurant. We then shopped in Russellville. I purchased Easter clothes for my grand-daughter Robyn and her children, Jake and Allyson. I also purchased Jake a chidren's Bible.

Tom and Maggie Sullivan sent Loucinda and me tickets to come to the Kiwanas sponsored pancake breakfast at Russellville friday morning. We met Maggie and Tom at 10:30 and had a wonderful breakfast of Pancakes and sausage, coffee, orange juice and milk. It was very good and it was especially good to visit with Maggie and Tom. We also saw Anna Jewell Fryar and Jewell Webb. Then we were so pleasantly surprised to see Jim Bill Aikman come in.. I was so glad to see Jim Bill, cause I had not seen him in a long time.

Friday night, I went with 4 ladies from my Rover Baptist Church, to Danville First Baptist Church, to a week-end retreat for women called "The Frazzled Woman." We were served a salad supper, which was delicious.. On each table was a wig on a wig head and the wigs were purple, pink, blonde, black. A person from each table went to a box and picked out materials to decorate the wig. Of course we thought we really decorated ours well, but our table did not win. The
table that won, all got prizes. We then adjourned to the sanctuary where a lady named Susan Clark led us in worship. She was absolutely stupendous!!!I was so blessed!!I appreciated getting to ride with Brenda Turner.

Saturday night, I was invited to a supper and later ,card playing, at Loucinda Buford's. Loucinda had beans,

cornbread, and barbecued ribs. June Castleberry brought cole-slaw and a delicious cake. Loucinda's guests were Charles Daniel and his son Robin, June and Dennus Castleberry, O.L. Briggs and me. O.L. always says no one ever beats him in cards but I understand he and Charles were beaten by Dennus and Robin. Of course, O.L. will say he just doesn't remember that. June and I adjourned to the living room to talk and watch t.v. while the others played cards. It was great fun!

Tom and Maggie Sullivan also invited Loucinda and me to travel with them, after church Sunday, to Mount Eagle Christian Center forthe dedication of their Beal Lodge. Loucinda and I went to Maggie's and Tom's beautiful home in Russellville for a salad and sandwich lunch, prepared by Maggie. It was a very good lunch and we started our journey in Maggie's van about 1:15. It is a 2 hour journey but it is certainly worth it to bask in the beauty ofthe woods and the lodge and other buildings the Wesylean Foundation has built on this beautiful site.The Wesylean Foundation pruchased 1,000 acres many years ago at this site, and now they are seeing their dreams realized by the building ofthis lodge and other buildings.. A service forthe Consecration of the Beal Lodge was a meaningful ceremony. Of course in my love for music, I really enjoyed the flute playing of a lady and the singng of the guests. We toured the Lodge and one ofthe buildings. The Lodge and buildings are used for retreats for organizations. The United Methodists have a half day secretary at the Lodge and she takes care of reservations. We took one of the trails and walked into the breautiful woods andas you go up a hill you can just walk out on this huge, smooth rock to see the view. It makes you have chills, looking at God's beauty of trees, clouds andrivers. On the way back, Maggie drove us through thesmall towns of Shirley,Choctaw,Botkinburg,Formosa, Solgohichia. What a wonderful trip and we thank Tom andMaggie forthinking of us.

I don't know what it is in our environment or foods. or whatever, that so many people are havingthe flu, bronchitis and allergies. Take those vitamins! My friend at Plainview, Midge Whitlow, has been sick with one of these ills. The last time I talked to her last week, she was better. My husband had the flu and was in bed for two weeks--He tells me this when it is all over---He had the flu and was so very sick.He said others had the flu the sametime he did and went to the hospital. He said"Well, the ones that went to the hospital, got well in 2 weeks and he at his home and in bed, also got well in two weeks!!

Remember--"Thisisthe day that the Lord has made,let us rejoice and be glad in it."

1 Comments:

  • Mom, the photo is the satellite picture of Little Texas. That's Oscars old farm if you can recognize the landmarks of entry to the bottoms and position of the pind etc.

    By Blogger Mr Goodson, at 9:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home