GRAVELLY NEWS

Monday, June 26, 2006

Sleep Areas


Gravelly News by Glenna Goodson

A lady was telling this story to her neighbor. She says: Last year I replaced all the windows in my house with those expensive, double-pane energy efficient kind. But this week, I got a call from the contractor complaining that his work had been completed a whole year and I had yet to pay for them. Boy,oh boy, did we go around!! Just because I'm blonde doesn't mean that I am automatically stupid. So, I proceeded to tell him just what his fast talking sales guy had told me last year....that"in one year the windows would pay for themselves."There was silence on the other end of the line, so I just hung up, and he hasn't called back. Guess he felt really stupid,huh!

John Meredith sent me an email of very interesting signs that are displayed in front ofthis restaurant called the Casa D Ice--I suppose it was in Ca.. since he just came from there. I'd like to share a couple ofthem with you:
(1) "1903 my grandfather, 7 years old arrives on Ellis Island. Must learn English to survive--102 years later in our country, we must push 1 to proceed in English--What a crock!!
(2)At the current rate of legal and illegal aliens entering the country, August 2013 will be designated as "white history month."

At the rate I go to sleep driving and always having to stop and sleep, I came up with the idea that instead of Rest Areas we could have "Sleep Areas."Maybe we could have 2 or 3 between Ola and Gravelly.

I saw Micky Austin in the Gravelly store. He says to me,"I saw your car at the river one day and I decided you had pulled off down there and went to sleep and then forgot how to get home."Really, my son went fishing.

I'm sure some of you realized my mistake when I wrote that Loucinda told me about the Ice Bergs she saw in Alaska. Of course it was glaciers.Aren't you glad I'm not teaching your 4th grader his Social Studies?

Our Masonic building at Gravelly is looking beautiful as the new siding is almost finished. I was mistaken when I wrote that we had enough money for a new roof.But I'm sure more donations will come in and the new roof can soon be a reality.

One of my favorite parts of the Record is the 50 years ago column. A couple of weeks ago there was the news that Betty Ann Lowe was receiving one of her degrees from the University of Arkansas. The article mentioned some ofthe honors she received. I thought"and I attended Fourche Valley School with Betty Ann, with Margaret and John Lowe." I think of the Lowe children and their honors and degrees. If you would go back,beginning with the late 40's andthen the 50's and on--It is amazing that a school with such small classes and such a small school produced Doctors, Senators, Lawyers, Scientists, progressive farmers, professional base ball players--good citizens--and yet some in power that do not realize how great our school is--say--close it down!!Doesn't make sense does it?

I had noticed in Fowler's restaurant in Plainview that I had not seen Juana Lou Holt in quite awhile. I asked Phyliss and discovered that Juana and her husband had sold the restaurant to the youngest sister,Jan Ward and her husband,Brad. The restaurant is still filledwith people so the new owners are keeping up the fine tradition of good service and good food.

Jesse and Beth Haston had a little baby boy 2 weeks ago. The baby just weighed 2 lb. and 3 oz. The baby seems to be doing well, so praise the Lord.

Joy Maughn that works in Fowlers told me that her mother is the oldest"Fowler" Her name is Norma Crumley and she lives in Austin, Texas. Joy saysshe sends her mother the Yell County Record and Mrs. Crumley said to tell me she could hardly wait for the paper so she could read my column. How nice of her!!

I saw Junior Rhoades at the Emerson store Sunday. A lady was with him and I observed Junior was terriably attentive to this pretty lady. I find out later that day that Junior and the former Alice Friend of Nola were married about a week ago. Mycongratulations to them.

When I was a child, my family and I lived in Scott County--We lived on highway 28--the lane that led to my Grandmother Oglesbe's and to the Mulberry community was near our house. Bob and Leola Wagner were newly married and lived in a house on that Mulberry lane. Mr. Bob was called into service because it was during WW2 and I remember so well when he left for the service. I thought Leola was about the most beautiful lady I had ever seen. She would walk to our house and mail letters to Mr. Bob from our mail box. Nowthis wonderful lady, these many years later, is in St. Francis hospital in Tulsa, with the final stages of cancer. I pray her passing will be peaceful.

Janice and Joe James have gone on a short vacation to Texas. I called Johnny Turner and told him I had a job for him to which he replied"No you don't." I explain that Janice is in Texas and would he come and lead the singing for us at the Wing Church, today, Sunday. He gave me someaugrement but he came. We were very glad to have Johnny and we're thankful he led thesinging. We were also blessed to have Greg and Linda Latham, of Young Gravelly to come to worship with us. Greg is Janice James' brother. Greg and Linda came back Sunday night also and we were so proud. We had an unwelcome guest too--A skunk had gotten under the church and the ladies opened the doors and that evening they sprayed but a skunk is a skunk whereever he is!!

At the Adventist Church this past Sabbath, Dr. Sandberg gave the message. I always learn so much when he preaches.

At our services Sunday at Rover, I was so glad to see Priscilla Langley. Since Priscilla has moved to Plainview, it's difficult for her to get to church. Bless Ray and June Hawkins for going to get Priscilla and bringing her to church. It was also good to see Patsy Jean at our services. It was wonderful to hear that beautiful singing voice again. And as I listen to the man of God bringthe Word of God, I am so blessed. As I enter the doors of Rover Baptist Church--I feel safe. I know my pastor is not ging to waver from the Word of God..He knows what he believes and why he believes it and I can feel safe because the Word is truth that he proclaims!!

Wouldn't it be neat if we all could write this to the I.R.S.: Dear I.R.S., I would liketo cancel my subscription--Please remove my name from your mailer's list.!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home