GRAVELLY NEWS

Sunday, October 08, 2006

That is the ugliest dog I have ever seen!


Gravelly news by Glenna Godson

There were 4 country churches in a small Texas town: The Presbyterian church, the Baptist church, the Methodist Church and the Catholic Church. Each church were overrun with pesky squirrels. One day, the Presbyterian Church called a meeting to decide what to do about the spuirrels. After much prayer, they determined that the squirrels were predestined to be there and they should not interfere with God'sdivine will In the Baptist Church, the squirrels had taken up habitation in the baptistry. The deacons met and decided to put a cover on the baptistry and drown the squirrels. The squirrels escaped somehow and there were twice as many there the next week.The Catholic Church got together anddecided they were not in a position to harm any of God's creation, so they humanely trapped the squirrels and set them free a few miles outside of town. Three days later, the squirrels were back. But---- the Methodist Church came iup with the best and most effective solution. They baptized the squirrels and registered them as members ofthe church. Now they see them only on Christmas and Easter!!

I attended a Mary Kay make-up party last week in Gravelly. The demonstrator, on her way to conduct the party, got a speeding ticket in Plainview.Yep!, that's the place you are likely to get one. My so called "friends" can hardly wait for me to get a speeding ticket cause they think thatr will slow me down. I may get a ticket but it will not be in Plainview cause I slow to a snail's pace when I enter the city limits of Plainview.I know a cop is around somewhere!! So you had better slow down in Plainview.

My neighbor, Cindy Clements has a new Toyota Corolla. Beautiful car!!Those Toyotas are thge best in gas millage ever. Cindy says they used only about 3 gallons of gasoline from Branson to Gravelly. My dream is to own a Toyota Lexus. I can tell you it will continue to be just a dream!!

My sister and I picked up my son at the Russellville bus station Monday evening. The bus, from OKC, was 2 hours late.When he last rode the bus from Russellville to OKC, the bus was 4 hours late getting into OKC. Russell is kinda off bus rides as of now!!

Katie Fickle will fly to Colorado Springs this Sunday night the 8th, to see her son and his family. Her son's First Calvary group, is being sent to Iraq, the 10th.Katie will also get
to see her handsome baby grandson.Pray forthe troops!!

A couple of weeks ago, the formef Ethel Faye Payne, brought the ashes of her deceased brother, Charles Ray Payne to bury them between the graves of her father and mother, Austin and Ella Payne. This Payne family were my neighbors for about 7 years when my parents lived in Scott County. Ethel Faye and I attended F.V. at the same time, but Chares Ray was only about 7 or 8 years old, when they moved to OK. I'm sorry I did not get to seeEthel Faye but a few in the community went to the cemetery to be with her.

My granddaughter Robyn, called me Saturday night. A lady in her church at Guthrie sponsored her to go to OKC to a Women of Faith meeting. It was conducted in the Ford Center and Robyn said several thousand attended from all over the U.S.The women that comnducted the seminar are women I have heard speak and have readtheir books. Max Lucado was also one ofthe speakers and he is my favorite Christian author. Robyn was so blessed by the meeting. Bless the lady that sponsored her. Members of Robyn's church in Guthrie are also helping her by purchasing some of the things she needs for her apartment.

Loucinda and I wentto Waldron Wednesday.We went to my cousin, Dortha Putman's. When Dortha answered her doorbell, she hadthis different dog in her arms. Loucindasays"That is the ugliest dog I have ever seen!"She is a little "strange" looking. Dortha has papers on the dog to take to Gary Garner. The dog is one ofthose hybrids that Gary and Sheila deal with.

How come if you mix flour and water together you get glue and when you add eggs and sugar, you get cake. Where does the glue go?The glue makes the cake stick to our hips!!

I received a wonderful e-mail from my cousin, Billy Euel that lives in Owasso, Ok.The letter made me cry because it describes so well how I feel about my school, F.V. and the Valley. Even ifyou did not attend FV nor live in the valley, surely you have memories that make you happy. You perhaps met your first love in high school. You made friends that stayed a part of your life. The friends I made in FV andthe Valley truly changed my life. So I would liketo share with you Billy's letter___ "At Melba's(Melba Boyd) party in July of 2000, at Waldron, there we were, classes of 49 thru 52 to honor Melba..Coach Loyd Reid George was there. The basketball team of "51 and '52 was there. As we were leaving, Coach says"see you atthe homecoming game at FV."Mary and Sue began thecontacts and we had homecomng in the OLD GYM., the one we had watched go up from the ground--could not wait to shoot a basket---..dribble a ball on something rather than Ar. dirt---andthe "old lady" was full of original kids wh loved her more then life itself---we lived and breathed to play the "game"-- she just was awakened by our physical presence and memories in each mind-----and shortly after, fire took down the "old lady" and down to a small pile of ash--all old weak, creaking lumber pieces--all old worn flooring where we all ran, jumped and tried to excel--now a ;pile of ash--and even more, all ofthe visible records of those of us and before melted as ash--not available for view anymore by those remaining andthe classes of 40's and 50's seemingly wanting someting to reunite us all to our great past--the old is gone and a new day dawned--for us all--what a great reunion was that first homecoming for us in the old--then the first reunion in the new school--packed with people from many far away places--returned to find great friends, classmates andmost of all the memories, so we moved frm the "old lady", now gone, to new school, to a new gym and I think all of us(our group) felt thesame with this gym completed as we may have when the original was completed---but the main thing is we have just experienced a great thing--twice in our lifetime--add this to the memories of growing up in F.V. and it just boggles the mind--that we had a second chance--who would have thought this for us--I am proud to be one ofthe very few of us who lived to see this happen--Thanks be to God this all happened for usto be a part of." Your cousin Billy Euel, a fortunate son"

This column is dedicated to two ofthe best friends I ever had--Melba Deane Lemons Boyd and Robert Gwen Buford.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home