GRAVELLY NEWS

Monday, October 02, 2006

He ignored us and continued writing the ticket


Gravelly news by Glenna Goodson

Working people frequently ask retired people what they do to make their days interesting. Well, for example the other day Don and I went into town and went into a shop. We were in there for about 5 minutes. When we came out, there was a cop writing out a parking ticket. We went up to hm and said,"Come on man, how about giving a senior citizen a break?" He ignored us and continued writing the ticket.I called him a turd. He glared at me and started writing another ticket for having worn tires.So Don called him a dirty name. He finished the second ticket and put it on the windshield with the first. Then he started writing a third ticket. That went on a bout 20 minutes. The more we abused him, the more tickets he wrote. Personally, we did not care. We came into town by bus.We try to have a little fun each day now that we are retired. It's important at our age.

Last week ,a beautiful young lady, named Julie Keeling, came from LinCare of Russellville to do a pulse test overnight study as the first test to determine if I needed a sleep study. Julie showed me how to use the machine and the next morning, she picked it up. One thing that was determined was that I am oxygen deprived as I sleep. I am scheduled for a sleep study October 13th, at St. Mary's Hospital in Russellville.Julie will bring an oxygen machine this week that I will use until after my sleep study. She explained to me that after the sleep study, they will pick up the oxygen machine and bring another machne that releases air into my lungs. Julie tells me this treatment should stop me going to sleep as I am driving, so I am really ready for that--so are all the other drivers on the highway that I meet when driving.

I was showing my friend, Midge, of Plainview, a picture of our '49 graduates of F.V. made during our high school reunion.She said"Mrs. Glenna, you look the youngest." I say "and the fattest!" She says "you are not fat--you are fluffy!" I don't know if that was a compliment or not.

Michael Buford tells his grandmother, Loucinda, that 2nd grade is challenging, so he likes his teacher and school. Michael asks his Dad, Scott, a question and when Scott answers his question, Michael says, "that was just a rhetorical question, you did not need to answer it!"Since I probably had not heard the word "rhetorical" used until I was in college, I would say that 2nd grade teacher is really challenging her class at Pottsville school.

Our Masonic Lodge at Gravelly sponsored a pie supper auction, Saturday night, the proceeds gong to Richie Brothers and his family. J.B. Wagner and Tommy Vanover were the auctioneers. We had a large crowd and many ies and cakes so we appreciate every one that participated.

Last Monday night, the Eastern Star Ladies honored the Masons by preparing a meal forthem. We had 5 Masons as our honored guests. Our Eastern Star ,that night, had as guests, Tommy and Judy Bell. of Ola.

Details Beauty Shop at Ola, is changing beauticians. Stacie, the owner of the shop, is quitting to go to college.I am so glad Stacie is gong to college, but I will really miss her as a beautician. Sarah is quitting also andtheir last day was last Thursday. The lady that will be there now is named Charlotte. I wish the best for Charlotte.

The owners ofthe Nola store have bought a 4 bedroom trailer in which to live.Since they have the trailer set up just a few feet from the store, it will be good for Cindy and her family and I am glad forthem.

Well, my Aunt Syble. of Waldron nursing home, was 99 years old last week. Dortha says they fixed her a cake and her caregivers came in and helped her eat her cake and wished her a happy birthday.Aunt Syble sleeps most of the time now.

I am so excited!!My granddaughter graduates from the Eagle Ridge Institute, located in Guthrie, Ok, this month. Robyn has vbeen in the drug related program over a year now and has done well, She has an apartment waiting for her to move into after she graduates. She plans to begin college this month also. Jake sang a song for me over the telephone that he had learned in kdgn.He says, Just think, Nanny, when we get into our apartment, you can visit me any time you want too, and do not have to wait until certain days." That is a plus!

I have now read the two books by Mary Spainhour Knight, entitled "Chlora" and "Chlora's Babies." I enjoyed the books and if you would want copies of her books you can probably contact Diane O'Bryant of Gravelly.

Our church services at Rover Baptist Church, were such a blessing, Sunday. Brenda Turner blessed us by singin "Still the Cross." and Brother Shipley chose as his text John 14.You know I want to gain knowledge as well as be blessed by a sermon andthat is always true for me as I listen to Brol Shipley preach.Sunday night, Bethany Light sang "When the Saints go Marching In."I really enjoy when Bethany sings for us.

If you happen to be traveling behind me on the road, remember that I brake for spuirrels and turtles.!!