Friday, June 30, 2006

one bad day in Ar. was better than 100 good days in Ca.

Gravelly news by Glenna Goodson

Bubba went to a psychiatrist. "Doc," he said,"I've got trouble. Every time I get into bed, I think there's somebody under it. I'm gong crazy!" "Just put yourself into my hands for one year," said the shrink."Come talk to me three times a week, and we should be able to get rid of those fears." "How much do yu charge?" Eighty dollars per visit", replied the doctor. "I'll sleep on it," said Bubba. Six months later the doctor met Bubba on the street. "Why didn't you ever come to see about those fears yu were having?" asked the psychiatrist. "Well eighty bucks a visit ,3 times a week for a year is an awful lot of money!A bartender cured me for $10. I was so happy to have saved all that money I went and bought me a new pickup!" "Is that so!And how, may I ask, did a bartender cure you?" "He told me to cut the legs off the bed!--Ain't nobody under there now!!!"

Jodie Sandberg is conducting a class on Thursday nights at the Club House in Ola. The club house is located next door to the 1st. Baptist Church.The class concerns a healthy diet and how to have a healthy life style. I went to the class 2 weeks ago and really enjoyed the class. The lesson that night was on FATS.You hear these people say that you should eliminate all fats and salt from your diet. That is not true--if you do yu will become ill. Our body needs some fats and salt. Jodie had samples that she had made of Raspberry Creme Delight and Better Than a Chocolate Bar Cookies. No sugar or milk was in either recipe and they were delicious!The class meets at 7:30 on Thursday nights.

Last Sunday, little Jacob visited his grandparents William and Treecie Price of Rover.Our church always has a time we greet each other before our pastor preaches. William left the choir, came down and picked up Jacob from Treecie and carried him around the sanctuary introducing him to everyone. Jacob is probably about 2 years old and was just a perfect little boy in the church service. I wish I could have taken a picture of the look on William's face as he looked down at that little grandson. There is absolutely nothing more wonderful then that first grandchild!!

My brother in law, Lacey Minnie, will have surgery on his shoulder in a couple of weeks. Last year he had knee replacement and now his shoulder. I'm just hoping he will take care of himself after the surgery.

Dennus Castleberry had a colonostophy at the V.A. hospital Tuesday. The surgeon discovered several polps that he removed.Dennus is doing fine. Loucinda and I went to see Dennus and June Wednesday night after church. We arrived at a good time cause June invited us to eat supper. She had peas, cornbread, squash, and okra from their garden, chicken strips and cucumbers and tomatoes from their garden. Now that was good eatin!!

Two ladies passed away this week that lived here around Gravelly when I was very young. Willa Dean Morehead James and Leola Hunnicutt Wagner. It seems we are young one day and in a short time we are old and leave this world. My sympathy to WillaDean"s and Leola's families.

Loucinda and her friend Frieda Banning drove to Mt. Magazine Lodge, just sight seeing a few days ago. Llucinda says it is absolutely beautiful and that the view is outstanding.

Tuesday night, Loucinda invited Frieda Banning, Retha Bowden and myself to go with her to the Sr. Citizen's building at Russellville to hear the Rambler's Band and Kelli Hill sing.I really enjoyed the band and I always love to hear Kelli sing. They had moved the chairs and tables to the back ofthe room and had a dance floor forthose that wanted to dance. I really enjoyed watching those senior citizens dance.Loucinda brought this lady over and said"Glenna you are famous" The lady wanted to meet me cause she said she always reads my column in the Record.She introduced meto her husband and their name is Rice.Mr. Rice had known my sister, kathy for a long time.I told Loucinda I wanted her to teach me to dance and she said a man needed to do that. We decided Dennus could teach me to dance so I told him Wednesday night I had come for my first dancing lesson. He start4d in his story that he can't dance but Isaw him and June dance at our F.V. reunion. But I think that means he will not be my dance instructor. Retha says just use a broom fro a poartner and learn. POersonally, I domn't think hat would work. The Ramblers will play at the Sr. Center at Russellville every 4th Tuesday of the month.

I met Mrs. John Meredith last week while at the Nola store. She's a lovely lady and I really enjoyed talking with her.I asked what she did during the day and she said she loved fishing in their pond. She said unfortunately she had caught 12 large turtles!! She and John love Gravelly, Ar.. They said one bad day in Ar. was better than 100 good days in Ca.

I was in the beauty shop at Ola a couple of weeks ago. A lady that was in the chair next to me said"Mrs. Glenna, you were my 5th grade teacher at F.V."It was the former Martha Lou Stephens. She had such petty dark hair. Not one gray hair and my students were only 10 years younger then I was-so Martha Lou is fortunate to still have that pretty dark hair. It was good talking with her. She said,"When you went off and left us a month before school was out and we had to go into Mr. Sullivan's room, we all cried."As I look back on that I sure wish I had not done what I did--it was a mistake.But Fred and I had married at Christmas in'52 and in April I was expecting a baby--Fred lived in Claremore and worked at Douglas Aircraft in Tulsa and one week end when he came home to see me, I said"I'm gong home with you, this weekend." I went to Mr. Lowe, my supt, and told him I was so sick all the time, I[d really like to quit a month early. Mr. Lowe could have said I had a contract and had to stay unti school was out, but he finally said I could go. I sure wish I could take that back but of course I can't .Seeing Matha Lou brought back good memories of that year.

Today, Thursday, I went with Loucinda to Waldron. My Aunt Syble Copeland is in the hospital with pneumonia.I was so glad I got to go see her today.Dortha said she was much better then she was yesterday. I look at those two sisters, Dortha and Peggy Jean, and think of how, for over a year, they have gone to the nursing home twice per day to check on their mother and do things for her. Now that she is in the hospital, they are with her most all the time. I really admire their dedication to their mother.Fred.,her son,goes to see her really often too.

Think on this. "Be careful what rut you choose--you may be in it for the rest of your life.


Post a Comment

<< Home