GRAVELLY NEWS

Sunday, November 12, 2006

3 minutes to vote!


Gravelly news by Glenna Goodson

Mr and Mrs. Fenton are retired. Mrs. Fenton insists that Mr. Fenton go with her to Walmart. He gets bored with all the shopping. He prefers to get in and out, but Mrs. Fenton loves to brouse. Here's a letter sent to her from thestore.
Dear Mrs. Fenton, Over the past 6 months, your husband has been causing quite a commoton n our store. We cannot tolerate this behabior and may ban both of you from our stores. We have documented all incidents on our video survellance equipment. All complaints against Mr Fenton are listed below:
Things Mr. Fenton has done while his spouse was shopping in Wal-mart:
July 2nd. Set all the alarm clocks in Housewares to go off in 5-minute intervals.
July 7--Made a trail of tomato juice on the floor leading to the restrooms.
July 18,-Walked up to an employee and told her in an official tone, "Code 3 in Housewares'
Aug.4:Went to the Service Desk and asked to put a bag of M&M's on layaway.
Sept.14--Moved a 'Caution-Wet Floor"sign to a carpeted area
Sept.15--Set up a tent in the camping department and told other shoppers he'd invite them if they'll bring pillows from the bedding department.
Sept.23:-When a clerk asks if they can help him, he begins to cry and asks,"Why don't yu people just leave me alone?"
Oct.4--Looked right into the security camera;used it as a mirror, and picked his nose.
Nov. 10-While handling guns in the hunting department, asked the clerk if he knows where to find the antidepressants.
Dec. 18--Hid in a clothing rack and when people browse through yelled, ":PICK ME,PICK ME"
Dec 21--When an announcement came over the loud speaker, he assumes the fetal position and screams,"NO!NO!I It's those voices again" And last but not least---
Dec 23--Went into a fitting room, shut the door, waited awhile, then yelled very loudly,"There is no toilet paper in here!"


Monday I did some business in Plainview and then went to Betty Lampkin's home in Bluffton with a load of books for her to read. Usually Betty will look at the books and will have read all of them but this time there were those she had not read.I was looking out the dining room windows and saw that Hoyt and his son had one of Hoyt's horses hitched up to his beautiful buggy. Hoyt came in and got water and said he and his son were gong for a buggy ride. Gee, that looked like fun--I'd like to do that someday.

Butterflies, our women's group at Rover Baptist Church had a good meetingthe first Monday night ofthis month. Our theme was "Blessings." Sarah Light, our leader encouraged us to share times in our lives, that at the time seemed very bad, but later we could see it was a blessing in disguise.We grouped in 3's and wrote poems of God's blessings.And of course the FOOD was wonderful. I read about a survey that was done of overweight people in churches. Of all the denominations surveyed, S.Baptists had the fattest people. Why does that not surprise me!!I went back for seconds Monday night. I THOUGHT about that survey, but it did not keep me from eating.

Gee, I miss my son. Fredcame Sunday night and heand Russell went back to OKC Monday morning. Russell always got up early and made coffee. he would take out the trash and all this before I got out of bed. He cleaned out cabinets for me and helped me clean house. And he even got me liking baseball as we watched the Cardinals win the World Series. I not only miss him helping me do chores, I just miss his company.

Maggie Sullivan sent me the neatest E-mail about the wonder of a human smile. I'm going to close my column today with one ofthe things that was listed.Maggie sends me several good e-mails that just make my day. But most of all, I just like when she writes me a message. It shows all over again how we at Fourche Valley that went through school together, have a kinship that others do not have.

I saw Chuck McCool at Plainview Wednesday. He shared with me that his son James had been offered a full scholastic scholarship by Ar. Tech. I congratulate James.

Gee ,these new voting machines are great!!I bet it did not take me 3 minutes to vote!

A lady that works at the Plainview Pharmacy, that will remain nameless, told me a funny story.Her son goes to Plainview school and one day after school he came into the Pharmacy really upset. He said someone at the school had stolen his bicycle. She asked him if he told the Principal and when he said "No" she sent hm back to school to tell the Principal. The Principal called the police. The mother had called her husband and told him. In a few minutes her husband came to the pharmacy andtold her he had to talk to her. He said"I got home a few minutes ago and there was our son's bike where he always parks it." The mother said,"Oh, no, I forgot--I drove him to school today instead of him riding his bike." So they had to call the Principal and policeman and apologize! If that doesn't show we are too busy to think, I don't know what does.

I visited the new Plainview Library last Wednesday.I was n so impressed. Each room is so attractive and they are spacious rooms. There is a separate room for the children's books and a very attractive reading table that has been donated for the children. One room is a law library.A man had donated over 1,000 non-fiction books just waiting to be checked out.The shelves in the main room are already full of wonderful books.The librarians told me how they still have several boxes of books that they have not had time to catalogue but they are working on them.I checked out a very interesting book.It is so good that we have such a nice library and do not need to drive over the Danville mtn. to a library The librarians at Plainview are so kind and helpful. Please check out this library.

My cousin, Mary Lee HIghfill Sams, is due for knee replacement surgery the 21st of Nov. Her sister, Sue Ann, is also having a lot of trouble with one of her feet. I wish I lived closer to them and could help. Their older sister, Leah, of Little Rock, had her first great grand child on Sue Ann's birthday, October 10th. I talked to their brother, Calton, who lives in Carrolton, Texas, this past Saturday. He told me that not only did his brother Billy Euel and my brother Bob Roy, work for Mr. jabo Clements, but that he also worked for him when he was a teenager.He hauled hay for him, as well as helping load Junior Lewis" andmy Dad's peddling trucks. Worth Holland had thegarage there in Gravelly where all we teen-agers congregated before the Saturday night movie.Calton said Worth would hire him to sometimes fix flats and pay him 25 cents and sometimes a dollar. Such neat memories.

The Gravelly Eastern Star had a chili supper at the gravelly Masonic bldg. Saturday night. We had a pretty good turn out. The chili was excellent and Lacy Minnie cooked beans that were also very good. We hoped deer hunters might come but we only had two that came.Jim and Vickie Roberson were there. Jim and Ray Rhoades have just gotten back from Colorado where they deer and elk hunted. Jim and Ray both got an Elk and a deer. Jim showed us pictures of the animals on his digital camera. At the supper was a gentleman named Mr. Coker. He said"You arethe one that writes the Gravelly column"and he started telling me one of his favorite jokes I had written.He says"I like your column and I'm sure not the only one." How nice of him!

Remember--A smile costs nothing, but it has the power to enrich all who receive it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home