GRAVELLY NEWS

Saturday, December 02, 2006

What exactly is in Possum Pie?


Gravelly News by Glkenna Goodson

The day finally arrived. Forrest Gump dies and goes to Heaven.He is at the Pearly Gates, met by St. Peter himself. However the gates are closed, and Forrest approaches the gatekeeper. St. Peter said,"Well, Forrest, it is certainly good tosee you. We have heard a lot about you. I must tell you ,though, thatthe place if filling up fast, and we have been administering an entrance exam for everyone. The test is short, but you have to pass it before you can get into Heaven."FGorrest responds,:"It sure is good to be here, St. Peter, sir. But nobody ever told me about an entrance exam. I sure hope that the test ain't too hard. Life was a big enough test as it was." t. Peter continued,"Yes I know, Forrest, butthe test is only three questions. First: What two days of the week begin with the letter T? Second:How many seconds are there in a year? Third : what is God's first name?" Forrest leaves to think to think the questions over. e returns the next day andsees St. Peter, who waves him up, andsays,now that you have had a chance to think the questions over, tell me your answers." Forrest replied,"Well the first on--which two days in the week begin with the letter "T"? Shucks, that one is easy. hat would be Today and Tomorrow." Peter's eyes opened wide and he exclaimed,"Forrest, that is not what I was thinking, but you do have a point, and I guess I did not specify, so I will give you credit for that answer. How aboutthe next one?" asked St. Peter. "How many seconds in a year?" Now that one is harder,"replied Forrest, bu I thunk and thunk about that, andI guess the only answer can be thelve."Astounded, Peter says,"Twelve,? Twelve? Forrest how in Heaven's name could you come up with twelve seconds in a year?" Forrest replies, there's got to be twelve:January 2nd, February 2nd, March 2nd---"Hold it,"interrupts St. Peter."I see where you are going with this, and I see your point, though that was not quite what I had in mind---but I will have to give you credit for that one too. Let us go on with the third and final question. Can you tell me God's first name"? Sure, replied Forrest, it's Andy.:" "Andy?"exclaimed an exasperated and frustrated St. Peter. "OK, I can understand how you came up with your answers to my first 2 questions, but just how in the world did you come up with the name Andy as the first name of God?" "Shucks, that was the easiest one of all,"Forrest replied. "I learned it from the song,"ANDY WALKS WITH ME,ANDY TALKS WITH ME,ANDY TELLS ME I AM HIS OWN." St. Peter opens the Pearly Gates, and said,"Run, Forrest, run."


I thought i'd be back in OKC by now but Russ called andsaidthey were iced in so he suggested I wait until next week to travel.

Fred had an MRI done in OKC the 29th.He will not know the results for a few days andhe hasanother appointment with the doctor, the 11th of Dec. I hope to be there by the 11th. Fred says I can't do any good there except maybe scratch his back.I bet Russ will be glad to see me so I can cook.

Our older son, Ellis, will fly into OKC from the LA airport, the 22nd. He will have to return the 26th, but we will be together during Christmas.

Mycousin, Mary Lee Highfill Sams, hada successful knee replacement surgery last week. She is recuperating at her son's home in Tulsa. Also, Sue Ann Highfill Cheatam's daughter, Terri, had her radiation treatment for her brain tumor. The doctors believe this one treatment destroyed the tumor andTerri will be fine now.

We, of the Gravelly and Nola community, are saddened at the death of Ray Ledbetter. We will miss him.

Last Wednesday, I went with Loucinda to Ft. Smith. We arrived in Ft. Smith just at noon time so we ate at I-Hop. We then shopped at Kohls. Loucinda had an appointment so I shopped at D illards while I waited for her. On the way home, we stopped at Belleville at a wonderful little cafe called Memory Lane. One of their desserts listed, was Possum Pie. Loucinda asked the waitress "What exactly is in Possum Pie?"A fellow spoke up and said ,"All of the Possum except the tail." Loucinda and I shared a piece of that delicious pie andI really don't think possum tastes that good!

As I was going to Dardanelle from Ola a couple of wees ago, I saw a sign outside a place of business with flashing lights. Below the flashing lights, there was a lady's name andthe words "Hot Checks." Now boys and girls, THAT is COLD.

Mr. Workman of Gravelly, is not only selling merchandise, he is cooking a couple of times a day. I ate some of his delicious home made stew this week.

Julie Keeling of Lincare ,brought my CPAP machine last Monday. She showed me how to operate it and how to put on the head gear. I hada terriable time that night with the head gear andI just gave up. Tuesday andWednesday nights my sister, Kathy, came down and fixed it on my head. I thought i could do it then but she had to come down Thursday night to show me again. Just maybe I can do it now.After two nights,I felt so much better and did not get sleepy driving--just as Julie told me would happen--Hurrah!!

I went to the basket ball gamesat FV Friday night. Our Junior girl's game was very exciting. Our girls won against Academics Plus by a score of 37 to 27..All of the girls played well but I was especially proud of Eriks Burchard. She made a total of 22 points.That girl received more free throws then I believe I have ever seen in a basketball game.The senior girl's game was harder for FV to win, but our team won 55 to 50. Our senior boys were so far ahead, that at the beginning ofthe third quarter, i came home. Katrhy said FV won by over 20 points. One thing that is so neat is the Little Indian Cheerleaders--little kids from about 4 years of age to 6 or 7. Our cheerleaders came out with them and led them with Cheers.

I was glad to talk with Sandra Ornsbey at the ball game. She is my favorite guy, Toby Morrison's, mom. She told me about the the home school program she is using called Alpha and Omega. Sounds like a very good program andshe says Toby is doing really well with this computer educational program. I am so glad to hear that.

Whileat the Dardanelle Wal-mart last week, I asked one of the workers where the snack anddrink bar was. I was going in the opposite direction andshe said I had just walked by it. She came up, put her arm around me andsaid"You even get lost in Wal-mart." Loucinda just cracked up andsaid "she's someone that reads your column and knows how yu get lost." I found out later it was Clark Smith's wife of FV.

I saw G. Spenser in the Plainview restaurant thisweek. I always enjoy talking with this lady. She doessuch interesting things in her life, andsince both of us are retired school teachers, we have a lot in common.We were both so proud ofthe Plainview Library and were glad that they are there in Plainview to be of service to the people there and beyond.She told me that she cuts out my column each week andwhen she gets a little down in the dumps, she goes back and reads one of my jokes.How nice!!!

You guys remember this--- Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home