GRAVELLY NEWS

Monday, August 20, 2007

I stood in line of two hours


Gravelly news by Glenna Goodson

As with many funerals, it was a cloudy, rainy day. The deceased was a little old lady who had devoted her entire married life to fussing at her poor husband. When the graveside service had no more than terminated, there was a tremendous burst of thunder accompanied by a distant lightning bolt and more rumbling thunder. The little old man looked at the pastor and calmly said, "Well, she's there."


My son informed me that his Dad and I did not see Godzilla at the Scott Theatre in 1952 because tjhis movie had not been released in 1952. He said he had heard me talk about it andthe movie was King Kong., Gee, I am allowed to mix up movies of 55 years ago, don't you think?

Marissa Workman and Christen Beggs, cheerleaders at F.V. school, were chosen Cheerleader All Stars. They are elgible to go to London, England in December where they will meet with the other cheerleaders throughout the state. I'm hoping FV will have some fund raisers for these young ladies

I saw Alma Torrance at Sav-A-Sum acouple of weeks ago. The Sr. citizens had come to do some shopping from the Danville Center.. I was so glad to see Alma. I miss her and Ruby from the enter.When Barbara Dennis, the bus driver forthe center, had only Butterfly and me to pick up, the bus was not allowed to come pick up just 2 passengers.

I got a call from the former Mary McConnell of Modesta, Ca.last week. Mary wanted the phone number of the Nola store. She was hoiping they could have the McConnell family reunion there in October.

Peggy Jeys, of Ola, told me she had someone place a copy of the yell County Record in her mail box. She said it was so she could read my column. She says now she will subscribe to the paper, so hurrah!!

Friends tell me that the party the Promise Land group of Wing sponsored forthe ladies of the Valley was really well attended. My friends said they had a good time. I hope the next timethey meet, it will not be on my Eastern Start night so I can come..


John Meredith had another good letter in the Gazette last Thursday. It was really good reading.

Since school will begin for our Valley Monday, I am reminded how good it is that our children can go to a school where the mention of God is not banned.A high school boy from Arizona has written a poem about the law in his state of Arizona that prohibits any mention of God. I will not take up space with the entire poem but I want to share a few words----"If Scripture now the class recites, It violates the Bill of Rights--and anytime my head I bow--Becomes a Federal matter now. Our hair can be purple, orange or green-that's no offense, it's a freedom scene. The law is specific, the law is precise--Prayers spoken aloud are a serious vice. It's scary here I must confess, when chaos reigns, the school's a mess--So Lord this silent plea I make--Should I be shot--my soul please take."

My younger son was attending Grant High School in OKC when a young man was shot and killed by another student, in the hall of the school. Years later, my grandson was in this same school and saw a young man holding a high school girl with a gun aimed at her head, threatening her life. Thankfully, the principal talked the boy into giving up the gun. So I am thankful for our schools in Yell County where this kind of thing does not happen. Would you like to guess what sentence this young man drew that killed the teen-age boy in school? He was told to leave the state--no jail time at all and he committed murder--Go figure!!!

Loucinda and I went to Danville Friday. I hadto go to the court house to assess my car and then on to get my car tag. At the tag office, the lady that waited on me told me she enjoyed my column in the Record and told me her very favorite joke.Loucindaand i went on to eat at Little John;s. While we were there, T.A. McConnell came in. I had taught T.A. at FV in 1952-53. and I was so gladto get to visit with him. In our conversation I learned T.A and his wife have been married for 46 years. They are members of Lanmark Missionary Baptist Church and have been for over 40 years. Loucinda asked T.A if I taught him anything and T.A. saidthat was too long to remember!


The Gilliland' store at Wing had a grand opening shin-dig Saturday night. Bobby Neil Melton brought his Piggy's Bar-BQ truck and he and his crew cooked and fed us. I heard one guy say he'd never seen so many people that he did not know--in one place. There was really a crowd. I stood in line of two hours to get my food! I understand Bobby Neil said heserved in the neighborhood of 290 meals. I was fascinated by a 1928 green, Dodge owned by Dick Gilliland. Also Jess Gilliland had a 1964 Ford Mustang there. While standing in line for the two hours, I got acquainted with Nancy Rhoades, Fay Rhoades, that I have known all my life, is her father in law.

After services in our Rover Baptist Church Sunday night we had home-made ice cream andcake and cookies. Sarah Light made a delicious sugar free ice cream that diabetic David Garrett and I could enjoy.

What is the most effective sleeping pill? Peace of mind.

1 Comments:

  • Keep up the good work.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home