GRAVELLY NEWS

Sunday, July 15, 2007

Extra trips to the dessert table


Gravelly News by Glenna Goodson

In a small mid western conservative town, a new bar/tavern started a building to open up their business. The local Baptist church started a campaign to block the bar from opening with petitions and prayers.Work progressed, however, right up till the week before opening, when a lightning strike hit the bar and it burned to the ground. The church folks were rather smug in their outlook after that, till the bar owner sued the church on the grounds that the church was ultimately responsible forthe demise of his building, either through direct or indirect actions or means The church strongly denied all responsibility or any connection to the building's demise in its reply to the court. As the case made its way into court, the judge looked over the paperwork at the hearing and commented: "I don't know how I'm going to decide this, but as it appears from the paperwork, we have a bar owner that believes in the power of prayer, and an entire church congregation that does not!!"


I have a favorite writer in the OKC Daily Oklahoman. He is Gene Owens and he writes an editorial every week called Buck's English. Last week he was writing of President Bush's flawed grammar. President Bush was quoted as saying, "This process has been DRUG out a long time." and Gene Owens says, "Did he say "DRUG?" Gene goes on to say that his English teacher in high school,
Miss Prunella, would call it ignorant usage. Well,
Miss Jessie Buford, my English teacher at Fourche Valley would have said the same thing!!

I was in Fowler's Plainview last Tuesday and saw Sharon Hamlton with a couple I did not know. While talking to me, Sharon tells her lady friend she's better be careful or I would put her name in the paper. Sharon intorduced us and I had a long conversation with Georgiana Tatum. She said, "I was married to Bill Tatum and he was the best ofthe Tatums." I told her it was good she felt that way. She told me she was a Caviness and her mother was Elnora Caviness. I told her I remembered her mother and her Aunt Helen Caviness. I commented that I wuold have known she was a Caviness. She asked me why and I told her the Caviness women were just elegant!!She said she would remember that. It was good to meet Georgiana.

Two Sunday's ago Bill and Yvonne Workman and their daughter, Robin, of Gravelly served a wonderful lunch buffet of Pork Chops, chicken, all kinds of vegetables and salad and a dessert you could die for!! I could not have dessert but Jim Roberson ate enough for me!!He and another guy kept going back for more dessert and Jim says, "You know, I have a stomach ache," I told him I believed the extra trips to the dessert table might be the reason.This past Sunday, Bill and Yvonne served fish and all the trimmings. It is sure a temptation for me to go to Bill's and eat each day since it is just down the road from my house. And Bill checks my oil in this Camry that still uses about 2 quarts of oil every other day--I just must have that oil leak fixed some day. Bill says at least I never have to have my oil changed--it's changed every day!!!

Betty Lampkin of Bluffton came home last Tuesday after spending 2 weeks at St. Mary's re-hab at L.R/Betty just has not done well since the stroke she had about 2 months ago. I went by to see her Friday and I could tell that she had a horrible headache, which she had tried all kinds of medication to get better-to no avail. I felt so very sad--I want Betty to get better so PLEASE pray for her. She would appreciate your prayers.

Gary and Sheila Garner took a trip to China last week. They will be home sometime this week. Now that sounds interesting!!!

I went with Loucinda to Russellville Thursday. We stopped at Danville at Little Johns and ate lunch. In Russellville we shopped at Stage and Wal Mart On the way back to Wing, we stopped at Plainview at the week-end home of Bill and Lou Ann Aikman Lewis. Lou Ann gave Loucinda and me several cucumbers they had grown in their garden at L..R They are the burpless cucumbers and they are wonderful. When we got to Wing, Loucinda asked me to stay while she fixed us a sandwich for supper. Then we watched a movie together. It was a fun day!!!

I haven't told you a Michael Buford saying in several weeks but here is one I thought was cute. Michael is 7 now and grows more curious each day and has such a desire for knowledge. Loucinda and Scott were talking about an Attorney and Michael says"What is an Attorney?" and Loucinda answers "They augre for a living." and Michael says, "Well, I can do that!" Loucinda agreed that he certainly could do that well

One of my favorite cartoon characters is the one called Maxine. Maxine is really something!! I was reading one of her comments that probably all of you have felt at one time or another. She says, "Don't like my attitude--send me an email at," www.like I care.com."

I saw G. Spenser at Plainview last week. She voiced my feelings too as she talked about the rain we were having preventing us from mowing our grass.She said we were going to have to bush-hog our lawns!! One of the newsmen said his children could play hide-and-seek in his yard and that they lost his rwo year old for 2 days!!!

From the mouths of babes come knowledge--a teacher asked a little first grader," Nathan why do you get so dirty?" Nathan replies"I am, closer to the ground then you are.!!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home