GRAVELLY NEWS

Monday, May 21, 2007

It doesn't get any better than that!!


Gravelly news by Glenna Goodson

A man and his wife were sitting in the living room and he said to her, "Just so you know, I never want to live in a vegetative state, dependent on some machine and fluids from a bottle. If that happens, just pull the plug." His wife got up, unplugged the TV,and threw out all his beer.


I had a good birthday the 14th. My kids called me and sent gifts. Fred called and left a message with him singing Happy Birthday. It was so comical because he cannot sing.Jody Sandberg and Sheleah and Kelly Virbel called me frm Ola to wish me happy birthday.They were on a speaker phone and all three said happy birthday and said"We love you,Glenna," It doesn't get any better then that!!

This week I took Betty Lampkin some books I had gotten from my book club. I just open my box of books when they come in the mail see what they are and take them to Betty to read first because she will read those 4 books I took her, in 4 days.. She is somewhat better from her stroke but she has a way to go.

I was at Plainview Fowlers last Tuesday when the electrical storm and wind hit. One of the waitresses got a call from her husband and said their car port had blown to the top of their house and part of their roof was gone.She lives at Rover and I thought "Oh, no, our pavilian at Rover Baptist Church."And sure enough, as I drove by I saw that it had been blown down.It was almost completed and it is sad but the guys will just start rebuilding soon. When Bro Shipley and the other guys in our church were buildingthe pavilian, they worked on Saturdays and ladies of the church would bring them food at lunch time.They always asked Louise Gillum to bake them a pie. Louise told Bro. Shipley that she believed he and Philip Robinson pushed the pavilion down just so she would need to start baking pies again as they start rebuilding.

These stormy days take my mind back to my childhood here in Gravelly, Ar. My Aunt Dora and Uncle Loy and their family and our family always got together when it was stormy.Aunt Dora and my Mom could just hear a loud clap of thunder and in that cellar we would go. Those dirt cellars we had then constituted more danger then the storm did. Sometimes there would be a snake in the cellar and always spiders, and creepy, crawling things.I was so afraid of storms that when Fred and I married, I would walk the floor and wring my hands when it was stormy. By God's and Fred's help I stopped being afraid of storms and I was determined my boys would not be afraid and they were not. One time my mother was visiting us in OKC and the sirens went off , warning that a tornado was on its way. My boys climbed to the roof of our house to watch the tornado form!!My mother almost had a heart attack and said to get those boys inside!!

I am so glad I went to Danville, First Baptist, to hear the performance of Brad Hunnicutt last Friday night.Isn't it wonderful that one of our own is a professor of Music Theory in Raleigh, N.C.?The concert was great!!My favorite piano pieces were the waltzes. My favorite song he sang was "Christmas in the Trenches." The song described how during WW1 both sidescalled a truce at Christmas, shared with each other about their families and sang and talked together. How amazing to me that this really happened. I was thrilled when Brad told me he reads my column in the Record. As he was singing his last song, he dedicated the last verse to me cause he said"I read her column." That made me very happy. I betcha, Bobbie, his mother, sends the paper to him.Brad had all the Hunnicutts stand that were in attendance and there were several there.They had a Hunnicutt family reunion this past Saturday at the Gravelly Lodge Hall.


My sweet, wonderful Christian friend of Wing, Louise Person, departed this life May 16th. She was one ofthe sweetest ladies I ever knew. I will write more about Louise in next week's column.

As I think of my sweet friend, Louise, i think of a scripture found in Proverbs---"The memory of the righteous will be a blessing."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home