GRAVELLY NEWS

Monday, March 26, 2007

"No, Glenna, I'm still out there on that Lake--lost."



Gravelly news by Glenna Goodson


Hillary Clinton was out jogging one morning along the parkway when she tripped, fell over the bridge railing and landed in the creek below. Before the secret service guys could get to her, 3 kids who were fishing pulled her out of the water. She was so grateful she offered the kids whatever they wanted. The first kid said "I want to go to Disneyland,". Hillary said--"No problem, 'll take you there on my special Senator's airplane." The second kid said, "I want a new pair of Nike Air Jordan's," Hillary said,"I'll get them for you and even have Michael sign them.The third kid said, "I want a motorized wheelchair with a buillt in TV and stereo headset." Hillary was a little perplexed and said, "But you are not handicapped," The kid said, "I will be after my Dad finds out I saved you from drowning.!!"


Retractions first---our FV school reunion is October 13th ,not 14th--I don't think we will be going on a Sunday, do you? So remember, the FV school reunion is October 13th.--And Mrs. Worlman's name is Yvonne NOT Lvonne.

Monday afternoon I raked and picked up leaves in my yard for 3 hours. I would have these big piles of leaves and after picking up two big trash bags, I would stop and look at how many more piles I had to pick up. It reminded me of hoeing that cotton when I was a teenager. I would stop, lean on my hoe handle and look to see how far I was from the end ol the row. I was always one of the ones that had to be "helped out". I wonder, as I am older, why everybody had to start the new rows together--why didn;t they let us hoe to the end of our row, in our own time, and start again? Mycousin, Leah Highfill, was the fastest in the field and I always knew she would "help me out". Ah, the good ole days--they were really good.

Sunday, the 18th, I went to the Danville nursing home with the Mulberry FWB church. We first ate at Little John's and then on to the nursing home. Several songs were sung and Charlotte Rhoades sang two specials that were beautiful. Bro. David, Mulberry's pastor, preached a very good message. I was glad to see Loiese Jones from Mulberry who is a resident of the nursing home. Loiese was always a wonderful example to me when I was a teen ager at Mulberry church. I always noticed how faithful she was to the services and always was such a good worker for Christ's kingdom. I also saw Mary Hunt. Jim Roberson told her that Doc Oglesbee was my Dad andshe held my hand and said" I can't believe this." I'm glad Kathy asked me to go but of course she and Lacy were gong somewhere else after the nursing home and I needed to be back at Wing to teach my Bilbe class at 5:00.so I rode back with Jim and Vickie Roberson and Gary and Sheila Garner also rode with them. It was so good to visit with these wonderful poeople.

Ah, I've been thinking of wash day before automatic washers. You first boiled the clothes in a wash pot and I remember my mother had a punch'n stick to punch her clothes down into that wash pot to make sure all of them boiled. Mycousin, Billy, said his wife told him she neededa punch'n stick to punch her clothes down in the washer. Billy thought back to his Mom's punch'n stick. He wrote," I was so proud of myself that I had not forgotten the things Mom taught us. So I used a piece of old broom handle, drilled a hole in one end, added some heavy twine for a hangar, looped it through, sanded the 30 in. long handle to a smooth service and I had just made a new punch'n stick."Billy says that now he has a year old antique. That sounds like a good punch'n stick but my mother just used an old broom handle.

I love the Spring time when God"s beauty is revealed in the trees and flowers. One of my favorite bushes is the Flowering Almond--that beautiful pink,fuzzy flower that blooms all up the branches. I have one in my flower bed and Ican just see my Grandmother Oglesbee and my Aunt Minnie Oglesbee standing by their Flowering Almond. Mine came from my Grandmother's yard.

Loucinda Buford hosted a birthday dinner Saturday night for her brother, Sam Turner. There were 13 that attended. Loucinda said that 4 of the ones that were there, were born in the house where she now lives. An Uncle, 2 cousins and Sam, were all born there. Sammy was 65--Gee, that means that 55 years ago, I had Sammy in my 5th grade class at FV!How time flies!!

The Mulberry FWB church gave my niece Ashly Swaim, a baby shower Sunday afternoon. it was really a goodshower and Ashly is so appreciative. The Garner Pet Register, where Ashly works part time, also gave her a tremendous shower.

Fred and Russell are at Lake Texoma now. Being there, out of OKC,isvery good for Fred.He took his boat out by himself and Russ toldthe cafe owner that there was a blind man out in that boat and he probably needed to ring a bell to bring him home. The guy said "Fred can smell his way back to shore."I talked to Fred later by phone and I asked "Fred did you make it okay in your boat?" and he answers"No, Glenna, I'm still out there on that Lake--lost." That's my joking husband!!

They say it takes a minute to find a special person--an hour to appreciate them--a day to love them--but then an entire life to forget them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home