GRAVELLY NEWS

Sunday, March 18, 2007

it was too quiet around here with me gone


Gravelly news by Glenna Goodson

Three men were sitting together bragging about how they had given their new wives, duties. The first man had married a woman from Iowa and had told her that she was gong to do dishes and house cleaning. It took a coujple of days, but on the third day hecame home to a clean house and dishes washed and put away. The second man had married a woman from
Mississippi. He had given his wife orders that she was to do all the cleaning, dishes and the cooking. The first day he did not see any results, but the next day he saw it was better. By the third day, he saw his house was clean, the dishes were done, and there was a huge dinner on the table. The third man had married a girl from Arkansas. He told her that her duties were to keep the house cleaned, dishes washed, lawn mowed, laundry washed and hot meals on the table. He said the first day he did not see anything. the second day he did not see anything, but by the third day, some of the swelling had gone down and he could see a little bit out of his left eye, enough to fix himself a bite to eat and load the dishwasher.

I visited with John Young at Plainview Fowlers.We shared a slice of sugar free pie, at John's expense John is going to real estate school. You know an idle mind is the devil's workshop and John is not going to be idle since he retired. Good for him !! I asked him about our new supt. for our Two River's school district and John says he is confident she will do a very good job.

Bruce Lee, the FFA advisor at F.V. school maybe has missed his calling. Instead of a teacher, he should be a stand up comic or a comedy writer.His articles in the Record for the past two weeks have given me many a laugh. In our sad world, we need to laugh--don't you get tired of reading death and sadness? So Bruce, please write more !! ecommented that he could not believe Jessica Catlett, the Ola FFA advisor was a woman. It is strange to some of us that a lady be an Agri teacher. I saw Miss Catlett at the Donkey ball game at FV Friday night. Gee, she not only is a woman Agri teacher, but she is young and pretty.FV played against Ola in the donkey ball game. Miss Catlett. in the last few minutes, rode one of the donkeys and even made a goal. One of the boys from FV stood up on his donkey and put the ball in the basket. Bruce Lee had said it would be embarrassing to lose to a girl but FV won by a large margin.

Dr. Shelly Tippin is really "Dr. Shelly, the "Red Neck calf wrangler!" One of their cows had a babycalf and when it was only 2 days old, it got out through their fence, crossed the highway andclimbed through a neighbor's pasture fence. Shelly said she looked like an FFA boy at the Yell Co. Fair calf scramble ! She cornered the calf, took a big dive with arms out and took him down around the neck. She made a make shift halter made of rope, hobbled his front legs together and got hm back to his Mom. She said O.LBriggs would have been proud ! Three cheers for Dr. Shelly !!!

I ate lunch at Bill Workman's with Diana O'Bryant and Wayne Rhoades one day last week. Lyvonne, Mrs. Bill, told me not to go away again cause it was too quiet around here with me gone.

Last Tuesday, Loucinda and I met Dortha Putman, Peggy Brothers and Mamie Glover at Little Johns at Danville. We were celebrating a be-lated birthday for Mamie. It was good to be together. I had really missed my cousins, Dortha and Peggy while I was in OKC. I remarked that my great granddaughter, Allyson, was just like my mother and me--that she never stopped talking. Mamie did not hear that I said "me" along with my mother andshe said,"She's just like you in that she talks alll the time !"Well!That could hurt my feelings. The truth hurts, you know !Amy June Castleberry surprised Mamie with a beautiful birthday cake she had baked for her. How nice of Amy June ! Loucinda and I asked the other 3 ;ladies to go to Wal Mart at Dardanelle with us. They all declined so Loucinda and i journeyed on to Wal-mart.

I had really missed my Adventist friends and was blessed by their services this Sabbath. Joe Harrison preached a wonderful sermon on Andrew--the disciple that brought people to Jesus one by one. Bo and Kristin Hutchison dedicated their baby son to the Lord. Joe read the scriptures and Dr. Ruff held the child and prayed for hm and his parents.It was so good to see Kelly Virbel, the Sandbergs ,the Harrisons. I had really missed talking to Janet Harrison. Dr. Sandberg played the guitar and sang and Bo played the guitar and he and Kristin sang. It was a worshipful time.

It was good to see Jewelene Putman Benefield at Plainview Saturday. She and Alan were on the ir way to the dump to dump a truck load of big paint cans. Jewelene said if yu read in the paper that Jewelene Benefield shot her husband Alan for bringing home paint cans and cluttering up the yard, it might be true. So she hadconvinced him to haul offf the paint cans.

Rosetta Hunnicutt has at her flea market in Gravelly, a wash bench that did, at one time, hold wash tubs when we washed clothes on the rub board. Brought back memories of my mother and me washing those clothes every Monday morning.I told Rosetta if Robert Gwen Buford was still here, he'd latch on to that wash bench.

When Fred and Russ came to take me to OKC, Fred had Russ unhook my washer in case we had a freeze.Russ thought he would be bringing me home and he could re-hook the washer.Since he did not, I guess I thought that washer would magically rehook itself. I finally asked Cindy Clements if she could do it for me. That tiny woman is as strong as an ox !She scooted that washer out--looked the situation over and hooked it back up so Icould wash. Bless Cindy for her act of kindness.

Mark on your calendar that our next FV school reunion is October 14th. I,m gong to be reminding you a lot, by the orders of my cousin, Billy Highfill, so maybe you will not forget.

Give me a sense of humor, Lord,
Give me the grace to see a joke,
To get some humor out of life,
And pass it on to other folk.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home