GRAVELLY NEWS

Sunday, April 22, 2007

Playing that old, beat up piano


Gravelly news by Glenna Goodson

An airplane was about to crash. There were 5 passengers on board, but only 4 parachutes. The 1st. passenger said, "I am Kobe Bryant, the best NBA basketball player. the Lakers need me, and I can't afford to die."So he took the 1st pack and left the plane. The 2nd passenger, Hillary Clinton said, "I am the wife of a former U.S. President, a NY State Senator and a potential future president. and I am the smartest woman in American history, so America's people don't want me to die." She took the 2nd pack and jumped out of the plane. The 3rd passenger, Ted Kennedy said, "I am a US Senator, the Democratic party needs me and my liver still has some good years left.So he grabbed the pack next to him and jumped.The 4th passenger, Billy Graham, said to the 5th passenger, a 10 year old schoolgirl,"I am old and frail and don't have many years left, and as a Christian, I will sacrifice my life and let you have the last parachute." The girl said,"That's okay. there's a parachute left for you. America's smartest woman took my school bag."

My cousin, Billy Highfill, has two granddaughters, Sarah is 4 years old and Hannah is 2 1/2. Sarah is going to a children's program at their church on Wednesday nights. She is learning Bible verses and every time shesays a verse, her grandmother gives her a dollar. Of course Hannah is observing all of this. Easter Sunday as they were leaving church, 2 1/2 year old Hannah looks up at her mother and says, ":It is true, the Lord has risen," Where's my dollar?"

Wyatt Nathaniel was born April 13th in a Russellville hospital. My sister's first great grandchild. I told her she is young to have a greatgrandchild--only 58 and I was almost 70 when I had my first one. Wyatt is such a pretty baby boy. Kathy says Ashly's brothers, Cameron and Jacob, rock him and Jacob whistles to him.

Last week I wentto Bluffton to see my friend Betty Lampkin. i was so sad because she is still suffering from thestroke she had a couple of months ago. I want my friend to get better--pray for her-- and Hoyt too, cause Hoyt is not well but he is right there to help Betty walk and care for her. I took Betty a couple of books and intend to go to the library and get her some more.

I was at Plainview Fowler's and John Young said "Mrs. Glenna here's something to put in the paper."These 3 young men had a video camera and were looking at pictures of wild hogs they had hunted. One picture showed their dogs getting this hog where they could shoot it. I asked was the meat from the wild hogs good to eat and they allowed that it wasvery good. Thank you, I still go forthe domesticated hogs we raised on the farm and killed in the winter time.

Loucinda and I went to Russellville Friday. I got my hair fixed in Ola and Loucinda came to Ola to pick me up and I left the Cadillac there. We shopped for flowers at Lowes, then on to Walmart. She brought me back to Ola to pick up my car. I knew something was wrong because I had trouble turning the steering wheel. I made it to Enerson's at Rover and smoke wascoming from under my hood. These guys looked at it and thought I had ruined the water pump and a belt. I had to leave it at Rover. I found out from the former owner of the car that the Serpentine belt controls every thing under the hood. Lacey wenr to Rover Saturday--gotthe belt on but it will not tighten. I appreciate so much Lacey gong and trying to fix it. So Monday, I will call someone to come tow it to their shop. I will miss teaching my Bible classes at Wing and I was supposed to play the piano Sunday night at Rover and will miss that too. Bill Workman of our Gravelly store is so good to me. He came to my house and looked at my Camry and pulled it to his house at Young Gravelly to work on it. I'm sure not worthy of sucha good friend. All I coulddo was cry when the other Christian friend said he was giving me the Cadillac.
Makes me humble.

One of the guys that was helping with the Cadillac at Rover said to me, "You really look like your Dad."And he told me he worked with my Dad, Doc Oglesbee, after Daddy retired from the Game and Fish.I told him I had always wanted to be like my Dad and who was he? It was Bobby Melton and I thank Bobby for helping me.

There was a pie auction at the Gravelly Masonic Lodge Saturday night . The Masons were raising money to repair the roof ofthe Lodge Hall and other repairs that needs to be done. The Dry Branch Band played for us, which was very enjoyable. There are 6 guys in the band and they play guitars, a banjo, a mandolin and a violin. The auction raised $2110 and we appreciate every one that brought pies and participated.J. B. Wagner and Tommy Vanover were the auctioneers. Margaret Wagner played the piano for us when the auction was finished. I was trying to show all the guys how awful that piano sounded and we wanted them to move the piano from upstairs to downstairs where we now have our Eastern Star. When Margaret got through playing that old, beat up piano, no one thought anything was wrong with it. But we got 6 ofthe guys to move the smaller piano downstairs--Hurrah!!!

If your friends complain because you don't dust your furniture, tell them a layer of dust protects the wood under it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home