GRAVELLY NEWS

Tuesday, May 15, 2007

As usual, it was delicious


Gravelly news by Glenna Goodson

Lawyers should never ask a Southern grandma a question if they aren't prepared for the answer. In a trial, a southern small-town prosecuting attorney called his first witness, a grandmotherly, elderly woman to the stand. He approached her and asked,"Mrs. Jones, do you know me?"She responded,"Why yes I do know you

Mr. Williams. I've known you since you were a young boy and frankly, you've been a big disappointment to me. you lie, you cheat on your wife, you manipulate people and talk about them behind their backs. You think you're a big shot when you haven't the brains to realize you will never amount to anything more than a two-bit paper pusher. Yes I know you." The lawyer was stunned! Not knowing what else to do, he pointed across the room and asked, "Mrs. Jones do you know the defense attorney?" She again replied." Why yes, I do. I've known Mr. Bradley since he was a youngster,too. He's lazy, bigoted, and he has a drinking problem.His law practice is one of the worst in the state. Not to mention he cheated on his wife with three different women. One of them was your wife. Yes, I know him." The defense attorney almost died. The judge asked both counselors to approach the bench, and , in a very quiet voice, said, "If either of you idiots asks her if she knows me, I'll send you to the electric chair.,"


Brad Hunnicutt will present a piano concert, Friday, May 18th, 7pm, at Danville First Baptist Church. Brad is the oldest child of Leo and Bobbie Hunnicutt. I understand that the concert Brad presented last year was excellent, so I'm looking forward to hearing this one.

I was working in my yard one day and heard this voice that seemed to be coming from the sky.I looked upward, thinking I might see an angel--or maybe a ghost--but it was one of Cindy Clements' teen agers talking on her cell phone from the roof of her house!! Cell phone reception is very bad here and the girls have found they can get a good reception from their roof!!

Mycousin Billy Highfill's older daughter, Rene, is really into fitness. She runs each day and exercises. She decided she would try Yoga as part of her exercise. She was showing her Dad her yoga cloth where she would sit to do the Yoga. Billy Euel took one look at that cloth, decided it looked like a prayer shawl, and asked "Rene, are you sure you can do Yoga and still be a .S.Baptist?"She assured him she could.

I went with Loucinda to Russellville , Thursday. We went to a couple of flower nursersies and purchased more flowers.She took me to Hastings where I purchased a book and a couple of CD's We ate at Wendy's cause we like their baked potatoes.We had a good time.

Bill Workman of Gravelly has been ill all week. I have really missed Bill being at his store. Yvonne, his wife, iscarrying on for Bill. I was in the store Wednesday and told Yvonne I probably needed a couple of quarts of oil in my car. I told her I did not know how to check the oil but I could pour it into my car. About that time Mark Wagner came into the store and Yvonne says"Mark will test your oil and put some in your car."Bless Mark--what is he to say--I do not want too- so he takes a couple of quarts of oil. He checks theoil andsure enough I need two quarts.
Mark says he can't ;pour it very well without a funnel and I say I can" and grab the can from Mark and proceed to pour it all over the car and Mark grabs it and finishes the job.Mark is living back in Gravelly now and Isure am glad--he can change my oil any time he wants too

At the Young Gravelly Cemetery, there will be decoration and a pot luck luncheon, for all of those who have relatives buried in that cemetery.Bring a pot luck dish and eat and fellowhip with friends and family.This will be May 20th.

While in Fowler's Restaurant in Plainview, Wednesday, a man came by my table and said he wanted to meet me cause he knew, my Dad, Doc Oglesbee.His name was Connie Coker from Dardanelle I told him I had the most wonderful Dad in the world and Mr. Coker's daughter said"No, I do." I was glad she said that and she is truly blessed to still have her Dad.

I saw the most wonderful performance Friday night. A group of y\oung people called Ringers of Hope gave a sacred concert at the Methodist Church in Ola.These 12 young people ring bells to play songs and it was truly beautiful and amazing.The kids are from Ouachita Hill's Academy, which is located on 381 acres in the foothills of the Ouachita Mountains.This academy is a self-supporting 7th Day Adventist boarding academy.These kids are all high school students and it was so refreshing to see such smiling, happy young people. Truly, Jesus makes the difference!!!

One day last week, my son Russell called me frm the Lake where he and Fred are. He told me he was really worried about his Dad because his face was swollen twice its size and Russ thoufght he had either had another stroke or he had been bitten by something. He wanted me to call him later and try to get him to go to a Dr. since he had told Russ he was not going Icalled and tried to get him to go but he kept saying "No:"and finally said if he was not dead by the next morning he'd consider gong to a Dr.He was better the next morn and Russ went fishing.He said in about an hour here came Fred driving his truck very fast. Remember he is almost blind now and certainly is not supposed to drive..Hestopped by

Russell andsaid "Get in and drive me to the Dr."His face had swollen again.The Dr. said he had had a
reaction to a mosquito bite and gave him a shot and medicine to rub on it. He is much better now.

I observed decoration at Parks Cemetery Saturday. My Copeland cousins were there, Dortha, Peggy and Ted..Bob Aaron Caviness and his wife Mary were there along with two of their daughters, Lori and Marcie who live in Shawnee, Ok.We also visited with Shirley Jo and Larry Aikman. Loucinda came with her cousin, Jimmy B. Buford of Ola.At lunch time, Dortha, Peggy,Loucinda,Jimmy and I ate at Nola.At lunch we saw my sister Kathy,her family and even the baby Wyatt was there.

Sunday wasa good
Mother's Day for me. I heard from all three of my kids.A t the Wing Church, Janice James gave all ofus ladies a red rose. It wasso pretty with baby breath.Then as I went on to my Rover Baptist Church, I was so glad to see Ruby Grace and Bill Holmes.After church they were gong to the nursing home to see Ruby Grace's mom, Irene Williams.When Ruby Grace and Bill are here they usually visit our church and we are blessed to have them.Then after church, I went back to Loucinda's where Loucinda andher son Scott were waiting for me to go to Little John'sat Danville to eat. As usual, it was delicious.Sunday night I went to Plainview to the Jesus Name Pentecostal church to hear the group Satisfied.I just know Dr. Sandberg and Greg Howard in the group. I'm sorry Ido not know the nam

es of the others in the group. They were excellent. I love to hear Dr. Sandberg play the harmonica. He also played the flute and guitar.At the end of the program they gave all of us a C,D. I came home and listened to mine. It was excellent.

Remember God's blessings are good--they are new every morning.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home