GRAVELLY NEWS

Monday, June 04, 2007

They did a lot of their cooking outside on a fire.


Gravelly news by Glenna Goodson for JUNE 20th

One Sunday morning, the pastor noticed little Alex standing in the foyer of the church staring up at a large plaque. It was covered with names with small American flags mounted on either side of it. The seven year old had been staring at the plaque for some time, so the pastor walked up, stood beside the little boy and said quietly, "Good morning Alex." "Good morning, Pastor,"he replied, still focused on the plaque. "Pastor what is this," he asked the pastor. The pastor said, "Well, son, it's a memorial plaque to all the young men and women who died in the Service."Soberly, they just stood together, staring at the large plaque.Finally, little Alex's voice,barely audible and trembling with fear, asked, "Which service, the 8:30 or the 10:45?"

My prayers are with Edith Turner as she has several tests the month of June.The tests began the 6th and it was a nuculur test--the 11th was an Echo test--the 15th on her legs and then the 27th, she will meet with the Doctor at Russellville to find out the results of the tests.

The Gilliland's seem to have a lot of business since they have bought the former Turner store at Wing.When that Turner sign came down, I almost cried--the sign had been there--Turner Store--for about 75 years, so another landmark gone. But I hopethe Gilliland's do a booming business.

The big white house next door to me belongs to Cindy Clement's sister, Dee Dee--I know that, but in my mind as I look at that house I think "Oh, this is Preacher Kitchen's house.They lived there several years and were good neighbors to my parents.Rita Daniel told me of coming to visit Eddie Grace Swaim Honey when Eddie rented Twain Willis' house while Twain and Jonnie were living and teaching in Mena.Eddie Grace asked Rita did she want to walk across the road to the Kitchen's and meet Floyd Cramer. Rita says"Oh sure, Eddie," thinking this can't be true. They walk across the road and there was Floyd Cramer and his family visiting the Kitchen's--since Floyd's wife was the Kithchen's granddaughter. So Floyd played the Kitchen's old fashioned pump organ for Rita. Then I gaze at the former Lucy and Bill Caviness home, just up the road from me. I can just see Lucy and Bill Caviness there and the beautiful red and white bushes that grew on their fence.They were so very beautiful. Then years later, Jess Kitchens bought the place and Mary Ethel Kitchens Cramer still owns the property.It doesn't take much for my mind to go back to when I was a happy, care-free teen-ager and these houses do that for me.

Do you ever wish that Alesander Graham Bell would have looked at his invention of the telephone and just cast it aside as a bad idea? Sometimes I hate the phone.Just someting to take your time away from your family to talkabout useless things--and gossip.And the mothers that had rather talk on the phone then spend quality time with her children!!And Cell phones--Ugh!!! These women in the grocery store with a cell phone in their ear while their children go crazy!!!A husband takes his wife to a nice place for dinner and she sits there with a cell hone in her ear. A friend in OKC told me of cell phones ringing during a wedding and ringing during church!!People that do not turn off their cell phones as they go to church, to me, have an ego problem. I was listening to a young person telling about a missionary trip he and others in his school had taken. The area where they were was very uncivilized--no running water--living in shacks--They did a lot of their cooking outside on a fire. But guess what? They had CELL PHONES. Go figure!!

My cousin, Billy Euel Highfill had his 73rd birthday May 29th. Mybrother Bob Roy's birthday would have been April 6th and he would have also been 73. My cousin, Fred Copeland of Waldron , will be 73 this month of June..My mother, and Aunt Dora Highfill and Aunt Syble Copeland had their 3 boys about the same time. and they grew up together and were always very close. Before these boys were born, my Aunt Dora gave birth to my cousin, Calton--10 months later I was born and then 2 months after I was born, Aunt Syble had my sousin Dortha Deane..We also grew up together and always have been very close. Cousins are really wonderful--especially if you all lived in Gravelly Arkansas!!!

God so loved the world that He did not send a committee!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home