GRAVELLY NEWS

Monday, March 03, 2008

Out crawled that snake


Gravelly News by Glenna Goodson

A little boy was walking down a dirt road after church one Sunday afternoon when he came to a crossroads where he met a little girl coming from the other direction. "Hello" they said to each other, "where are you going asked the little boy "I've been to church this morning and I'm on my way home. " answered the little girl. "I'm also on my way home from church . "Which church do you go too?" asked the little boy. "I go to the Baptist Church back down the road," replied the little girl, "What about you?" "I go to the Methodist Church back at the top ofthe hill," replied the little boy. They discovered they were both going the same way so they decided they'd walk together. They came to a low spot in the road where spring rains had partially flooded the road, so there was no way they could get across to the other side without getting wet. "If I get my new Sunday dress wet, my Mother will skin me alive." said the little girl. My Mom'll tan my hide, too, if I get my new Sundaysuit wet," replied the little boy. "I tell you what I think I'll do, "said the little girl, "Im gonna pull off all my clothes and hold them over my head and wade across. The little boy decidedhe'd do the same thing and they both undressed and waded across to the other side witrhout getting their clothes wet. They were standing in the son, waiting to drip dry, when the little boy finally remarked, --"You know, I never realized before just how much difference there is between a Baptist and a Methodist. "?


We had a meal for the Carole Willis family at our Rover Baptist Church the 28th. I was able to visit with Carole's sweet mother, Darlas Andrews. Darlas and I were in the same Sunday School class at Rover when I first moved back to Arkansas. Carole's funeral was at 2:00 and Bro. Shipley did a wonderful job of conducting the funeral service. If I counted correctly, Darlas had 8 children and in the last few months, she has
lost two daughters with cancer. Darlas has a lot of faith and God will comfort her in this time of grief. My prayers are with her.

I saw Scott Howell at the funeral Thursday. His back surgery was a succress and he's already walking a lot better.

Bruce Lee finally passed that kidney stone. I am so glad number 57, instead of 37, is a thing of the past Maybe Bruce should enter his name in the Guiness Book of World Records for having had 57 kidney stones. !!!

Wow ! Laurie Gagne could take pictures of me any time. Her pictures of our Regional games at FV were great.

Leo Hunnicutt was taken to the Danville hospital Sunday moring. He had a high fever and I do not know what else was wrong with Leo. pray for his speedly recovery.

Frances Scott is home from a L.R hospital and seems to be doing well..

I haver never known the name of the people that bought Wayne Hunnicutt's place in Gravelly about 5 years ago. I just remember as I would come around that curve where the house is, when Wayne was there, I would almost lose my breath at the beauty of the Daffodils. Wayne planted them to spell the words, Gravelly, Fourche Valley and his name. They were so beautiful and of course the creative way of planting them, attracted a lot of people to view them. Well, now, they have been mowed down so many times, the only word left is Gravelly. Even though it is pretty, they aren't large as they were. You just cannot mow down Daffodils or they will not bloom the next year.

Kevin Lambert was killed last Thursday as he was traveling home to Aly-Chula. He lost control of his jeep and it turned over on him. Kevin graduated from FV with my niece Kathleen Minnie Swaim. We really need to pray for that family.

I sat and visited with O.. L. Briggs, Thursday at Fowlers. I was telling hima tales of when there was the W.P.A. and CCC during WW2. Fred's Dad, Oscar Goodson, was working for the WPA, making 50 cents per day. Several guys were working together and they all brought their lunch in a lunch bucket. Oscar noticed one of the guys one day, picking up each of the lunch buckets and the one that was the heaviest, he would take it and leave his own. He did not realize Oscar saw him and Oscar decided to play a joke on him.The next day Oscar out some rocks in his lunch pail, while hiding his lunch in a sack. At lunch, this guy tested the weight of all the lunch pails and took Oscar's with the rocks inside. Poor man--he had nothing to eat that day. Well, O.L. told me about Jim Roberson and him working for the forest service. They also carried their lunch in a lunch pail. After lunch one day, Jim finished his lunch and walked back to work. O.L. caught a little grass snake and put it in Jim's lunch bucket. JIm took his lunch pail home and sat it on the kitchen cabinet. Later, Vicky, his wife, opened it to wash it and out crawled that snake !!Of course Vivky had a screaming fit. O.L. said Vicky had been sending him good things to eat, but after his joke, he was afraid to eat her goodies.

Saturday, I enjoyed the Adventist services at Ola. Kelly Virbel taught the Sabbath lesson andJoe Harrison preached. Kelly told me that the next day she and her mother, Diana Brown would try to come to the Wing Church and worship with us. We were so glad they came. Diana explained to Edie and Hazel how she took her little poodle to the Ola nursing home for the patients to enjoy.

Billy Jack Bogle purchased two of my books from the inter-net. I really got a kick out of his e-mail telling me he was reading my story about our chicken frizzes. Billy Jack said "You people had fun at Gravelly that I didn't know about." He said he didn't have a way to get to Gravelly--Too bad, he couldn't get to Bluffton and come with Robert Gwen Buford andCharles Daniel. One time Robert said ,":Gravelly was where the pretty girls were. " That was when Loucinda was too young to date so Robert came to Gravelly. Gee--those were fun times.

Is it okay to brag a little?My granddaughter ,Robyn, finished her college hours in oKC to be a Doctor's Assistant. She hada 4.0 grade point average and she was on the President's Honor Roll. She is enjoying her new job in Edmond. OK.

I now have lost 10 pounds!! Only 40 more to go. The First Place class is such a good place for us to bind together as Christians and encourage one another. Sundays are really busy for me--I come to Wing to teach a Bible class at 10. Then I drive to Rover Baptist Church to be there by11. I come back home for a couple of hours and then drive to Danville for my First Place class. I leave there at 5 and stop at Rover Baptist at 6 for church. When I get home, Iamso tired, but it is worth it.

My beautician, Janet, at Plainview, and her husband are excited because they are getting a 5 year old foster son in a few days. His name is Nathan and i really pray thisl little boy will be blessed with a Mom and Dad and that Janet andher husband will be blessed with a son.

I received an e-mail message from Cathy Nelson of Ca. She wrote that she and her husband, Pete, receive the Yell County Record and that they really enjoy my column. Their friend, John Meredith, had sent them one of my little books and she said they really enjoyed it! How fun !!

Remember ---Sometimes when I am angry, I have a right to be angry, but that doesn't give me the right to be cruel !!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home