GRAVELLY NEWS

Thursday, January 17, 2008

A lady was holding the refrigerator door open


Gravelly news by Glenna Goodson

A cowboy from Texas getrs pulled over by an AZDPS Trooper for speeding. The trooper started to lecture the cowboy about his speeding and in general began to throw his weight around to try to make the cowboy feel uncomfortable. Finally the trooper got around to writing out the ticket. As he was doing that he kept swatting at some flies that were buzzing around his head. The cowboy says, "Y'all having some trouble with them circle flies?" The trooper stopped writing the ticket andsaid," Well,yeah, if that's what they're called. I never heard of circle flies." "Well, sir, the cowboy replies, "circle flies hang around ranches. They're called circle flies because they're almost always found circling around the back end of a horse." The trooper said, "oh" and goes on writing the ticket. But a moment later he stops and asks,"Are you calling me a horse's rear end?" "No sir, I have too much respect for law enforcement to call y'all a horse's rear end." "That's a good thing," the trooper says and goes back writing the ticket. After a long pause, the cowboy in his best Texas drawl says, "Hard to fool them flies though !!"


I was in the FV library last week looking at some of the early FVannuals. Bruce Lee, Agri teacher, came in and asked "Ms. Glenna are you looking for a picture of the horse that you rode to FV when you were in high school?" Well Bruce Lee, I don't remember that any of us rode horses to FV when I attended FV but when I attended Nola and Gravelly elementary schools, some of the Dads brought their kids to school on a horse.At least we did not ride a bull, as Bruce Leee does. !But yu would not have caught me riding a horse anyway--I was always afraid of horses. Ray Parks was our landlord the 7 years we lived in Scott County. Ray gave my brother a horse to ride. I remember to this day how pretty that horse was. Of course every thing that Bob did I wanted to do,so I wanted to ride that horse. Daddy saddled him for me. I got in that saddle and that horse started trotting pretty fast. I tried to get him to slow down so he politely bucked me off !! I never asked to ride him any more. And one time, after we moved into the bungalow in Yell County, several of us kids were going swimming in the Blue Hole. Gene James told me to get behind his saddle on his horse andhang on. Well, I fell off and the horse stepped on my foot !!See why I don't like horses !!

Speaking of Bruce Lee--at the ball game last Tuesday night, hesaid "The cheerleaders say you are supposed to come out on the court at half-time and lead a cheer!"Now THAT would have been a sight to behold !Bruce said he was gong to write a letter to the Record about the sins and dancing we have in Gravelly. I told him he could write about our sins, but we don't have any dancing !

One ofthe highlights of my OKC visit was a visit from my former pastor and wife--Terry and Lorie Webster, who now live in Bixby. Whilewe were visiting in a restaurant, Terry says, "You know why I know tooth paste was invented in Ar ?" Cause if it had been invented in any other state, it would havebeen TEETH paste." I forgive hm hisAr. jokescause he is a great guy.

I went with a group last week for training on the voting machines 'cause Iam going to work at the polls here at Gravelly. I was glad to see Amy Pierce and visit with her. At break time we were told we could go get a coke and cookies. I was wanting a coke and when I saw Amy had one, I asked her did you need to pay for them. She said "Yes" to have a dollar ready and to put it on top of the refrigerator I just had some change and really had to dig in my purse to come up with a dollar. I went to the kitchen and saw a lady was holding the refrigerator door open for us to get a coke. I asked her where to put my money andshe looked at me strangely andsaid"You don't pay." I went to findAmy and she was really laughing cause she had fooled me. I told her I was going to cut her legs off. !! Ialso saw Meechie Mabry and wife--Meechie is looking well now.

Margaret Lowe Bogle has co-authored a wonderful cook book. It is not only just recipes but Margaret sought to help the busy mother with nourishing meals that can be prepared in a short length of time. Dallas News had an article about the cook book. I am proud for Margaret.

I am so proud of my little friend Kelly Virbel. She has been accepted for an interview at the prestigous Loma Linda University medical school in Ca. Your pre-med test scores have to be really high before you are accepted for an interview. Kelly will go the 2nd week in Feb. for her interview. This week she went for an interview at the U ofA medical school. It won't be long uintil Kelly will enter medical school . Kelly's Dad and Dr. Sandberg and Dr. Ruff all were graduates of Loma Linda.

The basketball games Tuesday night against Scranton were both sad andhappy. Our Jr. boys and Sr. girls were beaten soundly but our kids playedhard. Oursenior boys won and it was an exciting game. The F.V cheerleaders are just great. Some of theset ups they do are really neat. Our coach's' wife brought their little girl up close so she could watch the cheerleaders.. That child was just enthralled as she watched them. I loved watching her face cause she sure gave them her full attention. I just thought, "beautiful girl, I bet you are a cheerleader some day."

Realize that every day is a gift. Use it wisely.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home