GRAVELLY NEWS

Sunday, October 07, 2007

We took a bath in a wash tub


Gravelly news by Glenna Goodson

The children were lined up in the cafeteria of a Catholic elementary school for lunch. At the head of the table was a large pile of apples. The nun made a note, and posted on the apple tray---"Take only ONE. God is waatching." Moving further along the lunch line, at the other end of the table was a large pile of chocolate chip cookies. A child had written a note, "Take all you want. God is watching the apples."


Where do you go to relax??I like to sit in my front yard under a shade tree and read a book or watch the birds. You won't believe this but my friend, Debbie in OKC says she goes to Wal-mart to relax!!Can you believe that? WAL-MART--where there are huncreds of people looking as if they are on a mission as they push that cart about 50 miles per hour!! But Deb goes early in the morning, gets herself a Hershey bar and a coke and pushes a cart--very slowly--and relaxes!!Since I have to drive at least 35 miles to the nearest Wal-mart, that relaxing option is out for me. Maybe some of you would like to try it.

Last Tuesday, I met Kelly Virbel in Ola, left my car at the beauty shop, rode with her to Russellville Tech University where Kelly works in a Science Lab. She showed me the different labs and introduced me to different instructors, as her "Grandma". I have told Kelly I have adopted her as my granddaughter.It was interesting to see the different labs and get an idea of how they work. Then Kelly took me to Hastings where I could shop for and look at books--my very favorite thing. And also find new Johnny Cash DVD's. There is a lovely place at the back of their store where they sell food and drinks and have good chairs and small tables where you can sit. So I sat and read until Kelly and a friend came and took me to lunch. After lunch, they dropped me at Penney's and my niece ,Ashly, picked me up after she got out of class. It was a good day.

Deer season will soon be here. I can tell you guys how to get your deer the very first day, if you live in Yell Co.Bring your little chair from your deer stand--sit in a ditch between Bluffton and Briggsville---in no time at all, 5 or 6 deer will be there fixing to bound out in front of a car--so bang, bang--shoot your deer !!

5 of my 6 Highfill cousins will be here next week end for our FV school reunion. It will be so good to see them again. The majority of people that come to our reunion are n their 60's and 70's. We love to visit, share stories, sing, eat together. We make it known a year in advance when the reunion will be---it is placed on the school calendar, with the Two River's Supt approval and those in other states can plan in advance.

It was fun to talk to Bobby Darrell Hunt and Bill Workman at Workman's store last Friday. Bob and I were talking about "the good ole days." Bob says--"We took a bath in a wash tub in our kitchen. The cracks were so wide in the floor that we could just pour the water out on the floor and give the rooster sitting under the floor, a bath. We were talking about the fact that most of us that lived in those" good ole days" did not have a car. Bob said if we kids were walking along the road and a car came along, it took our parents several hours to find us cause we were so scared of the car, we took off to the woods.

Clark Smith came from FV Thursday and fixed my computer. I had not been able to send messages since I had returned from OKC. Clark Smith had my computer fixed in just a few minutes.

Last week, since I had no computer to send my column to the Record, I went to FV to use one of their computers.I really appreciate Lisa Davis, the media spec ialist,helping me. She had me type my column and then save it. Lisa put it on a disc and sent it to the Record. And all the time she was patient and kind. I really appreciated Lisa's time and help.

Charles Dearing, son of Kelly and Rick Dearing,won a trophy at Plainview's Frontier Day. The trophy was given by the Plainview Library for Charles' outstanding work for them. I congratulate this young man.

Fred plans for our son, Russell, to take him to his sister's, Gloria's. who lives in Wann, Ok during the Oct. and Nov deer season. Even though Fred cannot hunt due to his loss of sight, he wants to be there with the other hunters and with Gloria and her family. I'm really hoping that Fred will come to Gravelly in November.

A lady named Bettie Jones has been swending me really good e-mails. She sent me nature pictures called "When God Paints"I e-mailed to tell her how beautiful the pictures were. She rep;ied that she wanted me to know how much her sister and she enjoyed my column. Then she said they looked upon me as extended family--her Great-grandmother on her Dad's side was a Goodson. Bettie writes that the lady was full blood Indian and was blind. Mary Wall, Bettie's sister, is a retired teacher and Bettie is still enjoying substituting. Bettie e-amiled me that her grandfather was Homer Snow who years ago had a large farm east of Ola.Lester Wall was their Dad.

Sunday, Joe and Janet Harrison and Kelly Virbel visited our Wing Community Church. we were so glad to have them visit. . At my Rover Baptist church, Chris Light sang two very inspiring Specials and Bro. Shipley preached on humility--simething to really make you think. Several of our regulars were absent--Johnny and Brenda Turner were in Dover, Ar. where they were attending the christening of a new grandchild.

I ate at Bill Workmans' Sunday after church, Isaw Paul Wiggins, Junior Rhoades and his wife, Roy and Dorotha Austin.Billy Lofland and his son Jacob, and there were others I did not know. Yvonne and Robin had prepared ;pinto beans, cornbread, chili, turnip greens and a berry cobbler.
Mighty Tasty!!!

Remember that everyone has to die, but some people never live !

1 Comments:

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home