GRAVELLY NEWS

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Several years in Kansas City
















Gravelly news by Glenna Goodson (for Sept. 24)


With all the new technology regarding fertility, recently a 65 year old woman was able to give birth to a baby. When she was discharged from the hospital and went home, her relatives came to visit. "may we see the new baby?" one asked. "not yet," saidthe mother. "I'll make coffee and we can visit for awhile first."Thirty minutes passed and another relative asked "May we see thebaby now?" "No, not yet," said the mother. After anoither few minutes they asked again, "May we seethe baby?" "No, not yet," repliedthe mother. Growing very impatient, they asked, "Well when can we see thebaby?" "WHEN HE CRIES! " she told them. "WHEN HE CRIES"? they demanded, "Why do we have to wait until he cries" "BECAUSE I FORGOT WHERE I PUT HIM--O.K!!"

One ofthe joys I receive from writing this column is that I receive phone calls and letters from people that read my column. I received a call from Les Cox that lives up the Booneville Rd. from Corvette Corner. He had read on one of my columns about the Blue Hole and he said he spent many a happy day swimming in the Blue Hole when he was young. He said he, his parents and siblings, lived in Kansas City. is Mom and Dad divorced in the 30's and his mother became good friends of Emma and Phineas Jones. mma and Phineas lived in Gravelly most of their life but they spent several years in Kansas City, working. When they moved back to ravelly they encouraged Les' Mom to move here, too, which she did. Les said they moved here in 1937 and lived out on the Dutch Creek Rd. just a short way from the Blue Hole..L
He said Bookie Mitchell was his best friend when they were just kids.Les went back to Kansas City in 1941 and lived with a grandparent. He later married there and they moved back here to Ar. in '83. It was interesting to me that Mary Fisher of the Yell County ecord ,is his aunt, his mother's sister. Les wanted to know about CeBelle Hunt, so Les if you are reading this, the people I asked about her says she married a Jones andthat she is deceased. It was so interesting to talk to Les.

I received a joke in the mail from Roy ighfill of Plainview--Thanks, Roy, I plan on using that joke in the future.

It was interesting--several days ago I received a letter and there were MAPS of Ar. (maybe because I am always getting lost!) and several jokes. No name and no return address but it was fun!!

I asked Shirley Aikman about her's and Larry's grandson, Paul Anthony. Remember Paul was chosen to go to the Ar. School for Math and Science in Hot Springs.Since Paul is one of my favorite teen-agers, I was glad to hear that he is doing well in the accelerated school. For you that enjoy Literature, do you remember the play, House of Horrors"? Paul was chosen for a role in this play--good for Paul!!!

Achel Fulmer and his lovely wife Marcella brought some of Achel's post cards to Bill Workman's store in Gravelly. Achel is such a talented gentleman. I love the pictures on his postcards of old buldings and bridges in our county. A lot of history there. I like to buy them forthe history to keep myself.

I met a fellow in Fowler's Cafe last week named Harold Adcock. He told me that his Uncle, Tim Sledge, lived to be 110 years old and that he lived in Bluffton many year ago. Mr. Adcock told me of his visits with Arthur Lee Hunnicutt when Arthur Lee would come back for visits.
Mr. Adcock also remembered my Dad.

Also in Fowler's last week I met John Young's mother.A lovely lady--she looked too young to be John's mother!

Think on this:: When you hurry and worry thru your day, it is like an unopened gift--thrown away. Life is not a race. Take it slower--Hear the music before the song is over.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home