GRAVELLY NEWS

Monday, October 15, 2007

All of a sudden the hog turned



Gravelly News by Glenna Goodson

A U.S. Marine squad was marching north of Fallujah when they came upon an Iraqi terrorist, badly injured and unconscious. On the opposite side of the road was an American Marine in a similar but less serious state. The Marine was conscious and alert and as first aid was given to both men, the squad leader asked the injured Marine what had happened. The Marine reported, "I was heavily armed and moving north along the highway here, and coming south was a heavily armed Iraqi.We saw each other and both took cover in the ditches along the road. I yelled to him that Saddam Hussein was a miserable, lowlife scumbag who got what he deserved, and he yelled back that Ted Kennedy is a fat, good-for-nothing, left wing liberal drunk who doesn't know how to drive. I then said that Osama Bin Ladin dresses and acts like a frigid, mean-spirited ignorant fool. He retaliated by yelling, "Oh yeah? Well so does Hillary Clinton !" "And there we were, in the middle of the road, shaking hands, when a truck hit us."

Our 7th FV school reunion, the 13th, was just great!! I would say that we had about 200 in attendance. The 50 yr. class of 1957 was honored. This class had made reservations at the Castleberry restaurant at Danville on Friday night. There were 19 that attended--some were wives or husbands of the graduates. Friday when some of us were there getting things ready for the reunion, Betty Sullivan Ward and Mary Jo King Gossage, of the '57 class brought some posters to out up. I was impressed that Betty Sullivan Ward had made each ofthe class a memory book. It showed their journey from the time they were in grade school. It was a wonderful memory book. Mary Jo is just as bubbly and energetic as she was in high school. My siister in law, Betty Goodson Lewis was in this class and it was good to see Betty again. Also Jo Garner Goodson Runnels was in the class--Jo was married to Fred's brother, Jake, until Jake's death, several years ago. Jo, and Henry, her husband, live in Bartlesville, OK Betty and her husband live in Broken Arrow, Ok.

When the classes wre introduced by year, the class of '52 had 11 and the most there, as for as numbers are concerned. Our class of '49 had 7 there and since we had only 13 in our graduation class, Tom Sullivan told me we had the most percentage wise.This ,of course excludes the '57 class

There were so many at the reunion that I enjoyed talking too and getting reacquainted. There were 4 there that I taught in 5th grade in '53-'53. The were Ola Jean Hunnicutt, Peggy Copeland, Annette Person and Buel Thompson.

Delmas Hunnicutt was someone I had not seen in over 50 years. Here is Delmas about 6'4" tall and his little wife about 4'11' ! What a cutecouple !

It was good to see Meechie Mabry and his wife. Meechie has had a really bad time physically for over a year and he's looking much better.

The class of '57 were sitting in chairs on the gym floor and many had requested that the reunion committee contact Amy Defoor that taught them in 1st grade Amy was there and sat with them.--they asked Selby Brown, a former teacher at FV to also sit with them as a favorite high school teacher.

I was talking with some during our visitation time and a pretty lady came up and said "I'm looking for Glenna Goodson."I said "here I am", and the lady hugged me. It was the former Billie Juanita Stephens. She wanted to give me a copy of some of her poems. They are absolutely beautiful ! I am so humbled that Billie gave me copies of these wonderful poems. I've already read them over and over--they're good for the soul !

It was so good to see Billy Jack Bogle, Claude Williams,the "Lowe" sisters,the Parish Twins,Deltha Jean and John Lowe and Mary McConnell. And it was so good to see my friend, Melba Reed.There are many others that I loved visiting and talking with and I hope I see you next year

Laura Gagne was taking pictures at our reunion for the Yell County Record. I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures in the Record. I want to thank Laura for doing that.

As Icame to the gym Friday I was amazed at the special place between the gym and the school that Einella Lewis, 5th grade teacher, and her Science class and others in the school, have developed. There is a fountain and water fall, beautiful flowers and huge, beautiful rocks. Einella has received grants to do this. Einella told me that thre are 17 fish in the water fall. They have a scare crow in the garden and Einella says the scare crow has a habit of disappearing and then reappearing and one day it was inh her class room. Sounds like something Bruce Lee would do !!Check him out, Einella !!The old well house that is on the grounds will be made into an old school house with a bell tower.

Weston Godfrey, I think Weston is about 14 years of age, the son of Allan Ray and Cynthia Austin killed a wild hog during bow and arrow deer season. He shot the pig and it ran away squealing with the arrow in its back.Weston chased the hog and all of a sudden the hog turned and chased Weston !!Weston had a long hunting knife and stabbed and killed the hog. Good job, Weston !!

Sunday, Rita Daniel came to the Wing Community Church and then went on with me to Rover Baptist Church to worship with us. Both churches were so glad to have Rita visit with us.

I received a blessing in the mail Saturday. Larry Wilson sent me a tape of him singing and playing his guitar. The songs are really soul-searching.

God is blessing us so much at Rover Baptist Church. Last week our building was paid for !!We are so thrilled and wantto thank the Lord and those that gave so faithfully.

Remember a person is a friend that knows all about you and loves you anyway

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home