GRAVELLY NEWS

Monday, February 04, 2008

early 50's we teen agers


Gravelly news by Glenna Goodson

During a visit to the mental asylum, a visitor asked the Director what the criterion was which defined whether or not a patient should be institutionalized. "Well," said the Director,"we fill up a bathtub, then we offer a teaspoon, a teacup, and a bucket to the patient and ask him or her to empty the bathtub. "Oh, I understand," said the visitor. "A normal. person would use the bucket because it's bigger than the spoon or the teacup.""No,"said the Director, " A normal person would pull the plug. . Do you want a bed near the window?"


As I was driving through Bluffton one day this week, I thought, "No stores any more"---"No cars to be seen "--so very quiet--And no "picture show" on Saturday nights. Gee,in the late 40's and early 50's we teen agers were eager to go to the "show" at Bluffton on Saturdaynights. Two or three stores would be open and we could get acoke and candy bar. Maybe our boy friend would buy us the coke and we would just have a good time before the show started. I've wondered why someone doesn't operate a movie again on Saturday nights at Bluffton or Gravelly. The teen agers might go and us oldies would go.

I went to the Plainview library Tuesday. I talked to a guy that I won't mention his name, cause he might object, but I enjoyed his humor. He knew who I was because of my column and he said, "boy, you have it in for men and blondes--youd better quit picking on them." I told him that people tell me to quit picking on Hillary, to quit picking on Democrats, on Republicans,, on blondes and husbands, so gee, who can I joke about?

Imagine Camp Chaffee is gone--how sad !! The wind was so strong last Tuesday that after the fire started at Chaffee, the flames could not be contatined. A place of history gone from our state !!

I read this week about a Mother that was having trouble with her 15 year old son. They were having a heated augrement and the son said ,"Well, why did you have me?" The mother replied, "We didn't know it would be you !"

Isaw Jewelene Putman Benefield and her husband in Fowler's Friday afternoon. I was really glad to talk to them. Since Jewelene never looks any older, seeing her takes my mind back to years ago happy times. A sheriff's deputy was visiting in the kitchen and brought our drinks. I told Jewelene
Hey, I saw his gun."and someone asked who he was. Jewelene says, "I'm GOOD so I don't know the sheriff nor the depouty."

John Young, June and Lesley Harvey and others were also in Fowler's Friday and we naturally were talking politics. But what I enjoyed best was a shared piece of sugar free pie with John.I had come from Wal-mart and had some groceries in my car. I was lamenting the fact that I would have to bring my groceries to Gravelly and just turn around and go back to the basketball game that was being played there in Plainview. Jewlene and John convinced me that what I bought would be okay in my car until the ballgame was over. I took their word for it and went from Fowler's to the ballgame, which had already started.F.V. was playing Plainview. During the ballgame Plainview celebrated their Homecoming . The ceremony wasvery pretty and entertaining. The first game was played by the Junior boys. Our FV boys were defeated. Then our Senior boys ran onto the court and I was already excited!! At half time the score was FV 35 andPlainview 28. Don't tell me that small guys can't play basketball. Plainview has a short guy on their senior team that can really handle that ball. I really enjoyed watching him play. I do not know his name but he was number 2. The game was very exciting. Of course I would think that because FV won with a score 55 to 38.

Laurie Gagne risked life and limb by taking pictures of the ball game for the Record.

I visited with Laura Lampkin at the game. She intrioduced me to her niece, Jennifer Barnes. Jennifer told me she bought 2 of my books from the internet and gave one to her Dad, Johnnie Lawrence, for Christmas. She said her Dad enjoyed my column so much, she knew he would enjoy my book. Johnnie, I hope you enjoyed the book and will tell others about it.

Our FV cheerleaders were just great at the game. One cheer they did was just terrific and Einella Lewis, their instructor, told me the cheer was called "Shake it up Baby."

I am impressed because Sherry Hollyman , our Two River's supt. of schools, always attends our ball games. If a player gets hurt, Ms. Hollyman immediately goes to see how badly they are injured.


I know that 14 of my books were purchased from the internet. If some of you other readers have purchased my book let me know. My e-mail address is glenna@arkwest.com (all small letters) My address is Glenna Goodson, PO.. Box 57, Gravelly, Ar, 72838

Gene Morrison of Rover, will have brain surgery at Baptist Hospital in L.R, Thursday. Gene has had almost unbeaarable pain in her face for quite sometime. The doctors feel as if this surgery, hopefully, will alleviate the pain. Prayers are being said daily for this lovely, Christian lady.

Sundaynight I attended my first meeting of the 1st Place Program taught by Becky Patton at 1st Baptist, Danville. There's a lot to learn about the weight loss program but I received a lot of material that Iintend to really study. The Christian book Becky teaches is called "Presssing on to the Prize." Beckyh is really a creative teacher and makes the study very interesting. I was happy to see two familiar faces, Bobbie Hunnicutt and Cebelle James.


Remember this : Don't cry over anyone who won't cry over you.

1 Comments:

  • I would like to exchange links with your site www.blogger.com
    Is this possible?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home