GRAVELLY NEWS

Sunday, March 16, 2008

Thursday the bad snowcame





Gravelly news by Glenna Goodson

The local news station was interviewing an 84 year old lady because she had just gotten married for the 4th time. The interviewer asked her about her life, about what it felt like to be married again at 84 and then about her new husband's occupation. "He's a funeral director," she said. "interesting," the newsman thought.. He then asked her to tell him what her first 3 husbands did to make a living. She paused for a minute but after a short time a smile covered her face and she answered proudly. She explained she first married a banker when she was in her 20's--then a circus ringmaster when she was in her 40's, later a preacher when in her 60's and now in her 80's, a funeral director. The interviewer looked at her and asked her why she married men with such diverse careers. "Easy, son, she replied. "I married one for the money---two forthe show---three to get ready--and four to go."


March 4th, I woke up to see a beautiful 10 inch snow here in Gravelly. This was just perfect weather for kids and parents to enjoy making snow men because it was warm outside. But by night time the snow was melted. Iwas at Workman's that dayand Marissa, the gfranddaughter, was out getting snow to make snow ice cream. It made me have happy memories of my mother making snow ice cream for us and then me making it for my grandkids. Then Thursday the bad snowcame, complete with power outage. We at Gravelly were without power for only 8 hours but for some people thery hadno power for 3 daysand nights. Johnny Ray Blankenship lives outside of Rover and called at the end of three daysand nights without power and Energy says,"Oh, we did not know you did not have power." Robbie Fickle that lives on the Mulberry Road called after 3 daysand Energy says they they have in their records that she has power. Robbie assured them she did not. If someone was thinking of moving to Yell County and they asked me what they would need the most, I would tell them a generator !!

Last week at Workman's I was glad to see Justin Dees and Joe Maxey. Justin is doing college classes on-line and it is through Western Governor's University in Utah. Justin hopes to teach History when he receives a degree and would really enjoy teaching at F.V. I had not seen Joe in a long time and it was so good to talk to him. You know there are some people that make you feel good when you visit with them. They lift you up without realizing they have done so and Joe is like that. I'm glad I know him.

I did not receive my usual e-mail from Billy Jack Bogle last week and was concerned about them. But then, Billy Jack e-mailed me and heand Margaret had been to Houston to see Detonne, his sister. Billy Jack told me that Virginia, formerly Aikman, went with them and another lady, Elsie Pouzar, Detonne's mother in law who is in her 90's He was telling me how both ladies are so optimistic about life and do not dwell on sad things and really are fun. I thnought of how great that is because we don't need to hear about death and dying all the time, nor sickness. Who wants to be around someone when all they know is who is supposed to die next. ! I'msorry but that really turns me off !! We're supposed to be encouragers. !!

Johnny Turner, of Rover,was taken to St. Mary's hosp;ital at Russellville, the 12th. He has bloodclots in his lungs and legs and the doctors hope to get rid of the clots after a few days in the hospital. I talked to Br. Shipley the 14th and he said the doctors had Johnny on blood thinners trying to get rid of the clots.

I attended the benefit last Sunday for the Plainview Library, held at the Plainview school cafeteria. They had several to attend and others came to get a "to go" lunch. A lady was sitting by me and she asked if Iwas Glenna Goodson that wrote the Gravelly News. I learned she was Barry Tippin's mother-in-law. David Garrett auctioned off some cakes for them.

I was happy to receive 2 tickets from Tom Sullivan of Russellville to the Kiwanis' sponsored pancake breakfast the 28th of this month, heldin Russellville. I want to thank Tom forthe tickets--It has been a fun time in the past. My .little friend, Kelly Virbel and I intend to go. Kelly and I intend to do some fun things during her Spring Break from Tech. We're talking of going to Little Rock and maybe go to the zoo and have a picnic.

You 1949 graduates of FV mark your calendar that we are having a reunion for just us,at Maggie andTom Sullivan's, the 12th of April..If the meeting place is changed you will know in plenty of time and Maggie intends to send invitations. We had13 graduate in '49. Two of our number are deceased so we have 11 remaining. The last time I heard there were 7 that had definirely said they would attend.

Happy birthday March 17th to the Parish twins--Marie Parish Herrin of Tulsa and Maggie Parish Sullivan of Russellville. A lot of water has run under the bridge since Maggie andMarie moved to Gravelly when they were in 6th grade. Their Dad operated the cotton ginn at Gravelly for several years..

Last Tuesday at Rover Baptist's food pantry, we helped 10 families with food. We are so happy to help people in their need.I really appreciate Vivian Noon and her daughter Francis Lofland, who shop for our pantry. They watch for sales and shop wisely and therefore wecan give a lot of food to each family.

I saw Jim McCoy at Fowler's Friday. He had a young cop with hm that I learned patrols all of Yell County, which scared me just a little, cause i thnought I was safe, outside of Plainview. I told Jim that I might speed other places but never in Plainview cause I knew he would give me a ticket. He told a funny story of stopping a lady for speeding in the school zone. She told him she wasn't from around here so she didn't know about the school zone. Jim toldher, "That is the reason Ar. spends so much money on SIGNS--didn't you see the flashing lights?" Then she said "I'm not used to driving this car, it's a standard shift. " Jim asked her what that had to do with speeding. Jim said he really enjoyed my joke last week--that he laughed until he almost cried. I was glad to hear that.

I found out this morning, the 15th, that my friend, Kelly Virbel, has been accepted into Loma Linda medical school in Ca. I am so proud of Kelly. This is a medical school where only 10% of those who apply are even granted an interview. Kelly's Dad, Dr. Sandberg and Dr. Ruff all graduated from Loma Linda. I'm sure Kelly will be a wonderful Christian doctor someday.

Remember---when life hands you lemons, ask for sugar and call me over.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home