GRAVELLY NEWS

Monday, April 07, 2008

"Road Out"


Gravelly News by Glenna Goodson

Bubba walked into a doctor's office and the receptionist asked him what he had. Bubba said "shingles" so she wrote down his name, address, medical insurance number and told him to have a seat. Fifteen minutes later a nurse's aide came out andasked Bubba what he had. . Bubba said "shingles" so she wrote down his height, weight, a complete medical history and told Bubba to wait in the examination room. A half hour later a nurse came in and asked Bubba what he had and Bubba said shingles" so the nurse gave Bubba a blood test, a blood pressure test, an electrocardiogram and told Bubba to take off his clothes and wait for the Doctor.. An hoour later the doctor came and found Bubba sitting patiently, in the nude, andasked Bubba what he had--Bubba said "shingles". The Dr. said"Where, and Bubba says "Outside on my truck, "where do you want me to unload them?"


I met my friend, Melba Reed, at Rover and rode with her to Betty Sue George's funeral which was last Thursday at Danville Methodist Church. I got to ride in
Melba's new Mercury with sun roof and all. A funeral always has an element of great sadness but if a funeral can be inspirational, that funeral was. The music was beautiful and the ladies that read a tribute to Betty showed to some extent, what a magnificent lady Betty Sue George was. Her pastor did a wonderful job and spoke such comforting words from the Word of God. God bless and comfort her family.

I called my cousin, Dortha Putman, last week. She has recently had a cataract removed and unfortunately, so far, it has been as mine was. Her vision is no better. I am disappointed that the surgery did not work for Dortha or me. Maybe it is genetic--do you think?

The last album Johnny Cash recorded just before his death, is so sad but I am glad I found it at Lifeway. Until the last few weeks of his life he worked on his last album. I heartily recommend you purchase this album of beautiful sacred songs.

A lady came into the Workman store last week looking for information on the Owens and Parker families. Her mother is an Owens and lives at Waldron. The lady that was looking for the information is from Broken Arrow, Ok. She mentioned the Kilgore family from Aly as being part of the family and I told her I knew them and had graduated from high school with Bruce Lynn, who was this lady's cousin.Robin Workman found the history of Scott County Book and the lady found several pictures of her relatives. She found a picture of Nola School and the students and teachers. She said"My mother went to that school." I told her I also went to Nola school and what years did her mother go. When she answered 1939, told her I went there in '38 and' 39 so I'm sure I knew her mother when we were 6 and 7 years old.

Last Friday, I really needed to go to Plainview. I got just below Rover and there was a road sign that said, ":Road Out."Well, I couldsee a long ways andno water any whereso I thought the highway dept. just didn't take their sign down after t he flood andI kept going. Icamet o another sign of RoadOut and there was water now. truck was coming and I watrched him go through the water andI thought, "it is not deep, Ican go through" so I did. A highway truck was there and a guy reminded me I had gone past two signs that said "Road Out"--he said heshould give me a ticket but he'd let me turn around and go back home, which I did . And here it is, the next Monday and the road is still out and I cannot get to Plainview. People try to tell me how I can go to Danville and then back to Plainview, but knowing how I get lost, I would probably wind up in Little Rock, so I guess I will not go to Plainview.

Johnny Turner is having a hard time . The main problem last week was his blood thinner. When he finally went to L.R. which probably saved his life, his blood measured 8 and it's not supposed to be over 3. So Dr. Abel took him off the blood thinner for a few days. He's feeling better but went through several days of feeling just really bad. I want Johnny well again.

I e-mailed Roy Cost in Conway last week. We were hoping Roy could come to the next FV school reunion, since it is his 50th year after his graduation. Because Roy has severe Vertigo, he says he cannot come and sing or play, or even speak. Roy had to quit touring in 1999 because of his vertigo. But he still writes songs and is very popular on some FM stations in Ar and does really well on the charts in Europe. He is #57 on the Major Indepoendent Artists of the World Chart., which is poublished out of Holland. They do a top 200 and that is over 2,000 artists, such as Johnny Cash, Coway Twitty, etc. Roy does his recordings in his home in Conway. He says that he writes several songs in a month and then takes a rest. An artist in Sweden has recorded Roy's song, "It's My Memory Thinking." Well, we have 3 great musical artists from Arkansas---Johnny Cash, Glenn Campbell and Roy Cost.

I have a new e-mail buddy --Bethany Light, a young person in my Rover Baptist Church. Bethany sends me neat things which Ireally appreciate--none of the Obama trash or Oprah--oh ,please, I am so tired of that stuff---and NO Obama nor Oprah are the anti-christ, which I can prove by the Word of God. It would be nice if everybody had a checking device on their computer, as several people do, that checks out articles as to whether they are true or not So please if you have been sending me Obama stuff, please do not do that anymore.

Think on this---Don't worry about who doesn't like you , who has more, or who's doing what. Instead let';s cherish the relationships we have with those who do love us.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home