GRAVELLY NEWS

Monday, August 18, 2008

Look at Diana's feet


Gravelly News by Glenna Goodson

Dwight Nelson recently told a true story about the pastor of his church. He had a kitten that climbed up a tree in his back yard and then was afraid to come down. The pastor coaxed, offered warm milk but the kitty would not come down. The tree was not sturdy enough to climb, so the pastor decided that if he tied a rope to his car and drove away so that the tree bent down, he could then reach up and get the kitten. He did, all the while checking his progress in the car frequently, then figured if he went just a little bit farther. the tree would be bent sufficiently for him to reach the kitten. But as he moved a little farther forward, the rope broke. The tree went "boing." and the kitten instantly sailed thrugh the air out of sight. The pastor felt terriable. He walked all over the neighborhood asking people if they had seen a little kitten. No, nobody hadseen a stray kitten. So he prayed, "Lord, I just commit this kitten to your keeping. " A few days later he was at the grocery store and met one of his members and was amazed to see cat food. Now this woman was a cat hater and everyone knew it, so he asked her"Why are you buying cat food when you hate cats?" She replied, "You won't believe this." and told him how her little girl had been begging her for a cat but she kept refusing. Then a few days before, the child had begged for a cat again and the mom told her little girl "Well if God gives you a cat, I'll let you keep it." She told the pastor, "I watched my little girl go out in the yard, get on her knees andask God for a cat, and really pastor, you won't believe this, but I saw it with my own eyes.A kitten suddenly came flying out of the blue sky with its paws out spread, and landed right in front of her. "


When my son Ellis was here, Diana O'Bryant brought me Okra, pepper and tomatoes. She said she told her husband that if he planted another big garden like this one, he would have to hire migrant workers to harvest it !! Diana loves to go barefoot. When she is in Gravelly and just around here, she is always barefoot. She told me about one time when Aleene O'Bryant had the Gravelly store, Diana was in the store barefoot. A nicely dressed couple were passing through and were in the store. The lady noticed Diana's bare feet and she kept nudging her husband to look at Diana's feet. Finally the husband said "What do you want,?" to his wife. Diana said ""Sir, your wife wants you to look at my bare feet, they must offend her. " The woman said "Well, to me it denotes intelligence or the lack of it. " Diana says "REALLY!" " I have two degrees in the Sciences. What is your degree?" The woman says she doesn't have one. Diana tells the lady she needs not to equate intelligence with the way people dress--or don't dress--Yea, for Diana!!

Jessica and Justin Homan are expecting their first child. So Janice and Joe James will be first time grandparents. They are really excited. Jessica and Justin live in Aden, N.C. They are very active in their church there where Justin is a deacon. Janice and the people in Jessica's church are already calling the baby, "peanut".

My friend, Melba Reed, has a birthday the 18th. NOW Melba is as old as me--ancient!, We started to school at FV together when we were in the 7th grade and graduated together in 1949.

I was so glad to see the picture of Clay Beggs in the Record and the great article. Clay is great in many sports but of course I love to see him play basketball. To me he is just another Larry Bird. And I am so impressed that Clay is a Christian young man and has a tender, compassionate heart. . I congratulate Eva Lynn and Clint for raising 3 good kids. When parents realize that their kids should be top priority, God will bless.

My favorite part of the Sunday Gazette is the Ozark edition cause I enjoy the adult profiles and the high school student interviews. The August 10th edition profiled Brittany Mcool as the high school student. It was a beautiful picture of her and a very good interview. I was impressed when Brittany was asked "What is the best gift you haver ever received" and Brittany says "My salvation." Best answer, ever !

I traveled to Waldron Friday for Bobbie to fix my hair. My beautician,Janet, at Plainview is on vacation. I knew if Bobbke could fix my hair I could see my cousin Dortha Putman. Dortha and i met at the Charbroiler and had lunch and a good visit She and I both are excited because we'll see our cousin, Billy Highfill, next Thrusday. He is coming to Waldron to the club room at the Waldron Housing Authority, where Loucinda, Peggy, Dortha, Billy and I will meet and"stuff" envelopes with the letters concerning our FV reunion, October 11th. Last year, we had over 200 people that came to our reunion and we expect as many or more this year. We will all greatly miss Charles Daniel that always worked so hard for our FV reunion. He was such a good M.C. Margaret Bogle will be the M.C. this year and I know she will do a good job. Our tables will be set up differently this year for the registration and selling of tickets, which we hope will help us register more people. Loucinda has worked very hard, as always, on the reunion, so we sre hoping things go smoothly. Just remember, the ones she has ASKED to register are responsible for that job. --those that are ASKED to be greeters are to be greeters, and the seller of ltickets and M.C. and the musicians have been selected. We are to do the jobs that have been selected for us to do so our reunion will just be the greatest ever !.

There's a guy at my Rover church that is on the look out for mistakes in grammar in the newspapers. He told me I made a mistake in grammar in last week's Record. I said "No way " because I am very particular about my grammar. Anyone that had Ms. Jessie Buford for an English teacher at FV has no excuse when they use bad grammar. My pet peeve that you see a lot in the newspaper is people that are talking and saying a sick person is doing "good." Remember "good" is an adjective that describes. An apple is good, but a sick person is doing WELL, But Ron said I used "then" instead of THAN/ I looked back at my article and I was talking about Ellis going different places and I said "THEN he went to the Lake."I want to inform Ron that THEN was used correctly. Gosh, Ron I have a degree in English which does not mean I do not make mistakes but I do not think I make very many in Grammar. Now you watch him, he will be looking very closely at my column to see if he can find mistakes !!I do not care--it's okay. When i taught 4th graders I gave an assignment one time that they were tp spend one week looking for mistakes in the newspapers and also on signs in the city. It isamazing at the mistakes they found.

Remember Christian---This world is NOT our home and this world is NOT our friend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home