GRAVELLY NEWS

Monday, June 30, 2008

I love that accordian


Gravelly News by Glenna Goodson

A Texas senior citizen drove his brand new Corvette convertihle out ofthe dealership. Taking off down the road, the floored it to 80mph, enjoying the wind blowing through what little hair he had left. "Amazing," he thought as he flew down I-20, pushing the pedal even more. Looking in his rear view mirror, he saw a highway patrol behind him, blue lights flashing and siren blaring. He floored it to 100mph, then 110, then 120. Suddenly he thought, "What am I doing? I'm too old for this," and pulled over to wait for the Trooper. Pulling in behind him, the trooper walked up to the Corvette, looked at his watch and said, Sir, my shift ends in 30 minutes. Today is Friday. if you can give me a reason for speeding that 've never heard before, I'll let you go." The old gentleman paused and then said, "Years ago, my wife ran off with a Texas State Trooper.I thought you were bringing her back." "Have a great day, Sir," replied the Trooper.

Last Thursday, I was early to help with the kidsat Promise Land so I just parked at the Wing Church in the shade of a tree, and sat to rest a few minutes. When Istarted to leave, my car would not start and lights came on everywhere. I walked over to Two River's car place

and asked could someone go see what was wrong with my car. A young man went over and in just a few seconds told me to stay right there ,he would bring my car to me." I thought" Gee, that was quick."I asked what was wrong with my car and the young man kinda looked down and he said "You had it in gear." I felt so stupid. I told Bro. Dan Osolin when I got over to Promise Land and he said "Now how long did you teach school!"Bro. Dan told me something his Dad always told him. "Get your mind in gear before you decidce to do anything." I promise to remember that.

Tou know how you read all these really neat things about identical twins. How they can beseparated at birth andyears later find each other andthey will be wearing identical outfits--they will enjoy the same music, etc. Well, Maggie Parish Sullivan and Marie parish Herrin both had to go to the hospital, the same time two weeks ago. Marie had a colon related problem andMaggie woke up in the middle ofthe night and her tongue was so swollen she could not close her mouth. Tom took her to the emergency room in Russellville. The Doctor decided it was .an allergy of some kind. So both twins, one living in Tulsa and the other in Russellville, had to go to the hospital at the same time. Both are doing well as of now.

I saw Brittany McCool at the Plainview beauty shop last Friday. I asked her what their young people had been doing from Plainview Baptist Church and she said they had recently gone to the nursing home at Danville and did a play for the people there. That is so neat. Brittany will carry the American flag in the grand entry of Yell County Rodeo.

My grand-niece, Ashly Swaim and James King were married last Saturday at Rover Baptist Church. The 5 attendants for the bride wore beautiful purple gowns. The 5 attendants for the groom were cowboys!! Their vests were just beautiful--the vests . and pants were part of their tux but they did not wear the jacket and wore boots and cowboy hats. Tommy Yates sang one of the most beautiful songs I ever heard. His daughter, Jackie, also did a great job of singing. Charlotte Rhoades played the piano. Ashly's brothers ,Jacob and Cameron were the ushers and also Trent Jones. Lacey Minnie, grandfather of the bride, performed the ceremony and did a great job.I wish much happpiness for this couple. They plan to live in Ola. Ashly will begin her third year of college at Tech next year.

At the little Wing Community Church, Hazel Russell and Edith Turner always pray for the Gideons.This wonderful organization that seeks to do only good.That takes new Testaments into our schools and Bibles into Motels, Hotels, jails and hosp;itals. But in our Godless society Administrators are telling the Gideons they cannot go into the schools. Many hotels and even jails are saying they no longer can leave the Bibles. I."ve been observing one of the schools in Yell County that still is happy for the Gideons to come into their school and that school system is prosperous, enrollment is up and it looks as if they will have even more students next year.. Do you think this could be because God has first place?

At Ashly's wedding I was so glad to meet R. J Watts and his wife, Betty and Bobby, Betty' sister. Years ago I knew Gib Swaim and his wife at Aly and these ladies, Betty andBobby are their daughters. Of course, Gib and his wife are deceased. Steve Swaim, Ashly'sDad, lived with his grandparents, Gib andClaire for many yearswhen he was in schoolat FV.

Our Fifth Sunday singing was great at Rover Baptistr Church Sunday night. 1st Baptist, Ola, joinedus and they were a joy!!Brother Ric, their pastor, Doug
Moats and Ronnie Barnes blessed us with a song. Then Doug played the mandolin and Brol Ric played the guitar and they sang. Gee, I loved that mandolin playing. My Dad played the mandolin and it brought back good memories.Bro. Ric played andsang "Loving God andLoving Each Other" which blessed my heart. From our church. Chris Light and BrendaTurner dida great job singing their individual songs. Bill Milligan andWilliam Price sang a request, "Step Into the Water"--one of my favorites. Then William sang, "Heaven Cane Down and Glory Filled my Soul." Treccie, Willim's wife says I probably have William's picture on my refrigerator cause I love his singing so much. Janette Milligan played the accordian and she and Bill sang. I love that accordian. After the singing, we had hot dogs and home-made ice cream.

Sunday afternoon our Rover Baptist Church had a bridal shower for Emily, the Shipley's daughter. She and Josh will be married in August and plan to live and work in VanBuren.We will really miss Emily being in charge of our Children's Church at Rover, each Sunday. She does such a good job.

Remember this---"never argue with an idiot;they;ll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home