GRAVELLY NEWS

Saturday, June 14, 2008

Under his name there is a painting of 3 deer



















Gravelly News by Glenna Goodson

  An  Air Force Captain narrowly escaped serious injury recently when he decided to try horseback riding, even though he had no lessons or prior experience. He mounted the horse, unassisted, and the horse immediately sprang into action. As it galloped along at a steady and rhythmic pace, the Captain began to slip from the  saddle. In terror, he grabbed for the horse's mane, but could not get a firm grip. He tried to throw his arms around the horse's neck, but he began to  slide down  the side ofthe horse anyway!! The horse galloped along seemingly oblivious to its slippping rider. Finally losing his frail grip, the Captain attempted to leap away from the horse and throw himself to safety. Unfortunately,his foot became entangled in the stirrup, and he was now at the mercy of the horse's pounding hoofs as his head struck against the ground over and over. As his head was being battered against the ground and he was mere moments away from unconsciousness, to his great fortune an Army Sergeant shopping at Wal-Mart saw him and quickly unplugged the horse !!
 
 
Leslie Harvey has been home from the Danville hospital for about 2 weeks now. I so appreciated  his wife, June, e-mailing and letting us know  how Leslie  was getting along. June says that a nurse is coming every day to change and pack his incision. One day last week, he walked to his mailbox and back. Next Monday he will go back to Danvillefor a Cat Skan andTuesday to will go to the cancer center at Russellville. We really need to pray for Leslie and June his wife.
 
As many of us, Billy Jack and Margaret Bogle have been kept busy going to high school graduations. They went to Kansas City last week  to a God Son's graduation---then to a grandson's in Tenn. I wanted to know about this couple's children and grandchildxren so Billy Jack told me about one of their sons Mark and his  4 children. His oldest, Kristi, graduated from the Univ. of Tenn. and has finished  her first year of law school there. Courtney, 2nd oldest, will be a senior at the Univ. of Tenn. next year. Matthew, the recent high school graduate, has been accepted at the Univ. of Tenn. and will  start in the fall. Ryan, the youngest will be in the 9th grade this year. I thought how proud  Billy Jack and Margaret are  of all their children but I just zeroed in  on their son Mark.
 
I don't want to be morbid and I said I would not write sad things, but have you ever thought of what you want your tomb stone to be like" I told my family to be sure and put the word "Teacher" on my monument. I was in Bluffton cemetery looking  around a couple of weeks ago and saw that Rita Daniel had had Charles' monument placed by his grave. It is so outstanding--just the name Daniel written at the top in  script and then under his name there is a painting of 3 deer, looking as if they are just leaving the woods. Then farther on, there is a painting of a man fishing.  At the end of the monument there is a painting of a church. Just portrays Charles as to what he loved---the deer hunting,the fishing streams and his God. His family would be tops too.
 
My niece MaChel has a daughter, Emily, that will be sweet 16 next week. Emily is just like her mother so therefore, she is just like my  brother, Bob Roy.. Bob would have loved those grandchildren so very much. Machel';s two boys are 7 year old Christopher and soon to be 5 year old  Andrew. Chel says they are good EATERS. She fixed breakfast for supper the other night. Christopher ate 3 fried eggs, 4 pieces of bacon, a sausage, and 3 biscuits with honey. On top of that he ate a large slice of cantaloupe. Andrew just had one egg, but he also had the rest just as Christopher had ! Would you like to feed those boys ?
 
Clark Smith from FV came and fixed my computer Wednesday. I sure was thrilled cause I look forward to using my computer every day. Now if he will just come and fix my printer.
 
Gee, I had a busy Saturday. I went to the Adventist Church--heard Dr. Sandberg teach the Sabbath lesson on the Resurrection and Dr. Ruff preached a  very good sermon. Then I was invited to eat with them so of course I did. Then I drove home, which is about 30 miles. Then at 4 I was at Wing  at a meeting at the Promise Land facility where Susan Rhoades  spoke to those of us that are going to help with the children this summer that will come to the game room to play  the wonderful games they have for kids The kids can come  on Thursday, Friday and Saturdays from 4 until 8. Then I plan to help  some on Tuesdays   when they  plan to teach the  1st through 3rd graders  to get them better prepared for school next year. I appreciate these wonderful people that just want to minister to the young people of the valley. After that meeting I went on to my Rover church at 6  where we are studying a Beth Moore book  on Living Free in Jesus. . I am VERY tired.
 
My goodness, a local school board member went to the scheduled school board meeting a couple of weeks ago and guess what? No one was there--the school board, with the exception of this member, had met the night before. And shoot a monkey this particular board member had not bought  a Petit Jean paper that advertised the meeting. I just don't understand this board member not going to Morrillton that day or Birta and buying a paper.I think we citizens of  the valley  should subscribe to every paper within 200 miles so every school board member  can read when the school board is going to meet. I'll be glad to  put the date of the meeting in the Tulsa World, just to be safe. But  gee Hurrah, the Board Meeting is advertised in the  Yell County Record this week and I'm sure it will be next week too And thinking of the last Board meeting, it was interesting to see in the Gazette Wednesday that the State Board of Education has passed an Ethics  code for the TEACHERS. If the teacher violates the Ethics code she can be dismissed. Now tell me, don't you think those in charge of teachers should be ethical also? How about writing a letter to the State Board of Education. I'm going too.
 
Think on this---Evil prospers when good men do nothing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home