GRAVELLY NEWS

Monday, April 21, 2008

blue green water as far as eye could see


Gravelly News by Glenna Goodson

Linda Burnett, 23 and a resident of San Diego was visiting her in-laws and while there went to the supermarket to pick up some groceries. Several people noted her sitting in her car with the windows rolled up and with her eyes closed with both hands behind the back of her head. A customer who had been at the store for awhile went over to the car. He noticed that Linda's eyes were open and she looked very strange. He askedher was she okay and Linda said she hadbeen shot in the back of her head and had been holding her brains in for over an hour. The man called the paramedics who broke into the car cause it was locked and Linda refused to move her hands from her head. What had happened was a Pillsblury biscuit canister had exploded from the heat, making a loud noise that sounded like a gunshot and the wad of dough hit her in the back of the head. When she reached back, she felt the dough and thought it was her brains. She tried to hold her brains in for over an hour until someone noticed and came to her aid. Linda is a blonde and a democrat, but I'm certain that doesnm't have anything to do with it.

The flooding was so awful and when I see where a major part of the flooding was at Gilkey Creek--I think that' sure is no creek--looks like a river to me. " I thought of the 4 major divisions of water, a creek, a river, an Ocean and t hen a Sea. Each one is supposed to have more water then the other. I was not a very good student of geography but I've seen the AtlanticOcean and then when I went to the Holy Land, we stayed in a hotel that was close enough to the Mediterranean Sea, we could walk and view its beauty..That was the most beautiful enpanse of water I'd ever seen. --blue green water as far as eye could see..Then we went to the Sea of Galilee and you could see from shore to shore. This small expanse of water was a Sea!! boggles my mind. So I think I will do some research on this. But I know one thing that all these creeks around here turned into rivers and it was scary just looking at that water.

During our '49 class reunion, Maggie Sullivan read a who's who that was in our little school paper back then. Calton Highfill was t he flirtiest, Vernon McClelland was t he wittiest, Billy Euel Highfill was the cutest boy, Dortha Copeland was the cutest girl, Ann Beth Swaim was the best girl athlete, DennusCastleberry was t he best boy athlete, Glenna JeanOglesbee was the most likely to succeed girl and Junior Mobley was the boy most likely to succeed. There were others but I have forgotten. It'sso fun to go back andsee what we thought back then.

Billy Jack and Margaret Bogle have just returned from a trip to San Diego . I told Billy Jack when I visited there many years ago I thought I had died and gone t o Heaven, it was so beautiful. Every where you looked there were either flowers or blooming bushes. He agreed that it wasa beautiful city. Their hotel was in walking distance ofthe
Maritime Museum where the WW 2 aircraft carrier, the Midway, was anchored and used for a museum. One Pirate ship was on display. They visited the GasLight district, Old Town and Lajaya For several years, Margaret was a dietician ar Ar. Children's Hospital and then UAMS. For the past 10 years she has worked for the U.S. Dept. of Agriculture doing a nutrition research project in the Mississippi river delta. 32 counties in Ar.,
Miss, and La, are involved. Her office is in Little Rock but a lot of travelling is involved. . Gee maybe sometime when she is travelling she can leave Billy Jack home and take me--it sounds so very interesting.

The Junior Rhoades funeral was last Friday. Another person gone, that I have known all my life. My sympathy to the family.

I'm sure many of yu readers remember Jesse Reed fro m the Aly/Chula area Jesse was a hell fire- damnation Baptist preacher. His revivals brought in many, many people. Jesse departed from this life many years ago but his widow is stil living in Little Rock. Billy Jack found that she lived only a short distance from him. He dropped by to see Mrs. Reed a few days agoShe was glad to see him andgave him a tour of thecabin where Jesse had been born. The old log cabin where Jesse and his10 brothers and sisters were all born had been moved from Aly some time ago and now sits on the same lot with Mrs. Reed's house. An antique iron bedstead was still there where all 11 Reed children were born. A side room had been built where the children all slept but this part was not moved. Mrs/ Reed gave Billy Jack a copy of a book Jesse had written Jesse had used the cabin as his office in his latter years andhisdesk where he had sat while he wrote hisbook, wasstill there. Mrs.Reed is still very alert at 90 yearsofage--livesalone and still drivesher car. I had toldBilly Jack that I thought Jesse wasMelba Reed'sUncle but Melba said they were not even related. Jesse was a very good friend of her Dad andUncle..It was amusing to me when Billy Jack wrote that he went to one of Jesse's revivals at Bluffton when he was a kid. He said after the sermon, he was scared that the devil was going to get him and throw him into the fire !!

I have not gone to the First Place meeting in about 4 weeks. First we did not meet during Easter--then I was sick and was afraid to drive over the Mtn. then there was the flooding. so I have not lost any more weight and when Julie puts in our '49 graduate picture, you will see I am the only fat person of our class--how awful!!!But I am going to get started back when I come backfrom OKC. I plan to go to OKC and spend most of the month of
May. May is our birthday month --my daughter, two grandchildren and myself have birthdays so it will be fun to celebrate with them. I am sorry I will miss the FV graduation since my grand-nephew, Cameron Swaim graduates but I am missing my little great grandchildren so badly I really want to see them. Part of the time Iwill spend at the Lake with Fred and Russell. Russ caught several fish last week and Fred said they had fish suppers for a couple of days.

Do you enjoy Legends? I really do and Billy Jack shared one with me I thought was interesting. It seems there is a Crownover grave locaated between Bluffton and the Aly, Chula area. The legend is that the man namedCrownover stole a big, gray horse from Perry County.A posse was gathered and they were soon on his trail. Theycaught up with the thief near Bluffton ,where he was killed as he slept and buried on the spot. Billy Jack'sson, Mike, came up with the Legend. Billy Jack said Mike probably heard it from his grandpa, John Lowe.

Remember to Live Well--Laugh Often--and Love with all your heart.

1 Comments:

  • Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the TV Digital, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://tv-digital-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home