GRAVELLY NEWS

Sunday, April 13, 2008

crash his hands into the cake


Gravelly News by Glenna Goodson

Hospital regulations requires wheel chairs for patients being discharged. However, while working as a student nurse, I found an elderly gentleman already dressed and sitting on the bed with a suitcase at his feet who insisted he did not need my help to leave the hospital. After a chat about rules being rules, he reluctantly let me wheel him to the elevator. On the way down I asked him if his wife was meeting him. "I don't know, ' he said, "She's still upstairs in the bathroom changing out of her hospital gown."

I have been e-mailing Roy ost, as I toldyou in last week's column. He told me something I sure did not know--that Shelton Dishongh was their basketball coach for one year--1957 at FV. I did not know Mr. Shelton was ever at FV. I knew he was at Little Texas and Gravelly. went to FV and got a '57 annual and there he was. Mr. Shelton andhis3 boys lived with Mrs. Lou, his mother who lived in the Mulbverry Lane, for awhile. I remember the 3 boys coming over to our house and we'd play on the front porch.

Igot a ohone call from Orange, Texas last week. Maggie Nell Cooper McClell and called me. She was a '50 graduate of FV. We had talked almost an hour and Vernon, her husband, came in and Maggie Nell says, "I am talking to Glenna Jean"andhe said "OGLESBEE" and got on the other phone. We talked another 30 minutes. Vernon and I were talking about the trip we high school kids took in '49 to Petit Jean. We were in Roger Cox's old truck with sideboards. We leaned against the side boards and they came off, dumping all of us in the street at Plainview. Vernon was talking about how we were hustled into the drug store. They had a. Dr. there to look us over and he told Vernon to help him. Vernon was supposed to pour alcohol on cotton balls and rub our scratches. Well, Andrew Raper really had his belly scratched up and Vernon just poured the alcohol in his hands and smaked it onto Andrew's belly ! He said Andrew screamed and almost tore up the drug store getting out. I have a picture of Vernon that day at Petit Jean along with Mr. Whorton, who was our Math teacher. In some of my pictures for that day, there is one of Charles Daniel with a white bandage around his wrist. There are pictures of Robert Gwen Buford and Melba Lemons--such wonderful people that have left this life and I so miss them.

I was at FV Thursday and Bruce Lee was using a computer across from the library to bring up the weather forecast and the water levels. Bruce Lee tooks at Mr. Abrams and says, "I know what we need to do, we need to offer a sacrifice to get the water down." I tell him I know exactly what we can use as a sacrifice--his bull. !! Boy, I got a LOOK and he said "Ms. Glenna, that bull is worth more then you will ever see."

Kelly, of the Plainview Drug Store went to the Sav-a-sum to get them some supplies and food one dayl ast week.. Well, it was one of those days where it was raining so hard and the rivers were getting over Hwy. 28. But as Kelly was getting the supplies, she was praying and she thanked the Lord for the rain, telling Him she knew He allowed the rain for a reason But as she got back to the drug store and started to get out of the car, her arms loaded with supplies, all of a sudden the rain just gushed down on her. Kelly says, "Lord, this is not funny !"

Friday, the 11th, our FV graduation class of 49 met at the Sullivan's at Russellville. Those attending were Calton and Lu Highfill from Texas, Claude and Pat Williams of Little Rock, Brehman and Marie Herrin of Tulsa, Melba Reed of Story and Me from Gravelly. and of course Tom andMaggie Sullivan. Some of us had brought high school pictures and Maggie read our Will andProphecy from that graduation class. She also had a Who's Who and it was so fun. Maggie prepared declicious food and her dining room table was so beautiful. I met Melba at Rover and rode with her to Russellville. We really enjoyed telling our tales of long ago--it really took us back to the "good-ole days."

The former, Billie Juanita Stephens, that lives in Ala. sent me two books of poems she has had published. She also sent me a song she had written for her son and the music director of her church had helped her publish the song. The poems are so beautiful and inspirational. I cried as I read many of them. She really has a gift of writing that truly blesses those of us that read her poems. The song is wonderful and so professional. Who would have ever thought a shy, little girl from FV would ever have shown such talent ?

My sister, Kathy had a birthday Saturday and her little great-grandson, Wyatt, celebrated his first birthday, Sunday at Kathy's and Lacey's home. Kathy fixed food and had relatives and friends to celebrate with Wyatt. They placed him in a high chair and gave him a small replica of his big cake. He put his hands in the cake and at first just tried to get the gooey stuff off his hand. . Then he put a hand in his mouth and that's all it took when hesaw it tasted good. It was fun to watch that handsome little boy just smile and crash his hands into the cake.

Remember you should always leave loved ones with loving words. It maybe the last time you see them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home