GRAVELLY NEWS

Sunday, June 01, 2008

This school should not be closed























Gravelly News by Glenna Goodson


   While on a road trip an elderly couple stopped at a roadside restaurant for lunch. After finishing the meal they left the restaurant and resumed theri trip. hen leaving, the elderly  lady, unknowingly, left her glasses on the table and she didn't miss them until they had been driving about 20 minutes. By then to add to the aggravation they had to travel quite a distance before they could find a place to turn around in order to return to the restaurant to retrieve  her glasses. All the way back, the elderly husband became the classic grouchy old man. He fussed and complained and scolded his wife relentlessly during the entire drive. The more he chided her the more agitated he became. He just wouldn't let up one minute. To her relief, they finally arrived at the restaurant. As the woman got out and hurried inside to retrieve her glasses, her husband yelled at her, "While you're in there, you might as well get my hat and the credit card."
 
 
I walked into my Rover Baptist Church the 25th of May and Bro. Shipley says"I think they need you to play the piano, cause the Rovers for Jesus are gone singing this weekend." I walked up front and the choir was just coming in and Chris Light says "Things are better now that you are here.": I was glad  I was there. Brother Shipley's sermon was so inspirational on "Everyone Wants to Bee Remembered." Ifeel guilty cause I am not doing more to get people to come to my church cause people need to hear and know the Word of God. Keith Shipley really teaches and preaches the Word and is one of the best preachers I have ever heard.  When I left the service, Iwent to Plainview Fowler's to eat. Isaw Chuck McCool and his family as they were leaving  And Chuck sat down to talk to me. I learned that Chuck is now on staff at Plainview  1st. Baptist Church--he is the part time youth and music director.  He was telling me an activity the youth had done the week before--they called  the activity "Give Back to the Community Day." The kids cleaned some yards for  the elderly, cleaned some gutters and cleaned out flower beds.  They also mowed the church yard. Chuck told me other thigs they had done and it sounded so good.  Good job, Chuck!!
 
Tuesday, I was back at Fowler's and was so excited to see Odios Hunt, formerly of Gravelly. He  was 95 years old that day. Some of his family had brought him for a birthday meal.I had to tell him who I was but then he knew me. Gee, Odios Hunt and Elois Hunt were part of my growing up years. They were friends of my parents and meant so much to me. Elois and my mom both had baby girls later in their life and Shelba Jeanand Kathy are the same age. Odios is in a nursing home and he told me he was  okay except he could not get around very well.
 
I went to see Leslie Harvey in the Danville Hospital last Monday. Leslie is not doing   well at all and I am so glad I went to see him. He was so glad to see me and told me I was at the top of his list of people he wanted to come see him. Leslie was in my first 5th grade class at FV in 1953. He has had cancer surgery but the cancer has invaded most of his body. Please pray for Leslie andhis family.
 
My grand niece Ashly Swaim is working at the ABC Children's Academy and Developmental Center at Dardanelle. She gets practicum hours for her college. She really lovesher job. This fall she will graduate with her associate's degree  for Early Childhood and will  continue her major in the Spring. She andJames plan to be married the last of June.
 
My granddaughtrer Robyn called me from Guthrie, Ok and told me about going the last day of Jacob'sschool and getting him andhis report card and  belongings.  There was a sheet attached to the report card. There was an activity where each of Jake's classmates could say one thing about Jake and them a place where Jake could write something. Robyn said he wrote, "I have a wonderful Nanny. " I just had to cry.
 
I did not believe  that in my lifetime I would see my FV  school be no more. Superindentants, board members and others involved just don't understand that our valley school is not a town school as the other  two schools are  in Two Rivers. Our school is all comprised of country kids and the parents love God, family, church and their SCHOOL in that order. There was a survey conducted a few years ago and FV, yes, small FV, had graduated more that had gone on to get Bachelors, Masters and Doctor's degrees then any other school in Yell County. This survey was in  comparsion to our size. A couple of  years ago the State Dept. sent personnel to the schools in 2 Rivers District to inspect our buildings and classrooms. FV was the only school that passed the inspection with flying colors. Last year the Gazette newspaper had listed every school in Yell County as to whether  the schools had met , academically, the State Dept. guidelines. FV was the only school in 2 Rivers that met those gujidelines.I  understand our district is in trouble financially, but why not find ways to put the crunch on all 3 schools in our district and work at keeping a rural school that meets the needss of many children. When you see a school closed, you usually see old buildings, but look at FV. A gym that cost a million dollars--andis paid for. The rest o fthe school is relatively new except the old home ec building. Such a waste of money, love and time if this school is closed. I  would advise those that are really interested. like Linda Gagne, to get a lot of facts together and go to the State Department and show why this school should not be closed.
 
Did you realize that chickens are the only animals you eat before they are born and after they are dead..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home