Monday, July 09, 2007

I sure want to see that next deer

Gravelly news by Glenna Goodson

A blonde pilot decided she wanted to learn to fly a helicopter.She went to the airport but the only helicopter available was a single seat helicopter. The instructor figured it would be all right to let her go up alone since she was already a pilot for small planes and he could instruct her via radio.. So up the blonde went. She reached 1,000 feet and everything was going smoothly. She reached 2,000 feet. The blonde and the instructor continued to talk via the radio. Everything was going smoothly.At 3,000 feet the helicopter suddenly came down quickly, skimming the top of some trees and crashing into the woods. The instructor jumped in his jeep and rushed out to see if the blonde was okay.As he reached the edge of the woods, the blonde was walking out of the wreckage. "What happened," the instructor asked, "ll was gong so well until you reached 3,000 feet. What happened then?" "well," began the blonde, "The higher I went the colder it became so I turned off the ceiling fan."

I just stayed in OKC a few days last week.
My eye specialist said I just had an infection in the eye from which he had removed the cataract. Also, he gave me a new prescription for glasses. That's one good thing about OKC, Russell and I left the doctor's office, went to Lens Crafters and I had new glasses n one hour.Now I can see pretty well. I sure want to see that next deer that jumnps out in front of my car!!

I spent one night with my granddaughter Robyn and Jake and Allyson. I slept with Allyson but Jake had a friend spending the night and in the next room they talked and talked. It was after 10 before they finally got into trouble and went to sleep. Jake and Allyson have to get up at 4:30 a.m. to get ready for school and day care. Robyn fixes their breakfast, makes sure they are dressed and a trolley comes and picks all of them up by 6, Robyn to college and the 2 kids to school. Jake was really tired that morning and I said "Jake, I'm afraid you are so tired today that you will do something bad and get into trouble and i jusr do not want you to do something bad." Jake says, "Nanny, that is nonsense, everybody does bad things sometimes!" I had to agree.

I went to the Lake and was with Fred a couple of days. Of course the flooding they have had has made everything ugly and no one can get into the water. Fred always enjoyed eating and we always had two healthy mneals every day. Now he just never is hungry and doesn't want meals. He has gotten very thin. But besides the loss of his sight, health wise ,he seems to be doing well.

Saturday my niece, Machel. came from L.R. to Gravelly with her three children. Emily will be in high school this school year, Christopher will be in 1st. grade and little Andrew is 4 years old.It was so good to see all of them.

Last Thursday, Russ brought me back to Gravelly from the Lake.It's over a 5 hour drive and you never got on the interstate or a highway---just go through all these small places. Just read some of the names/ " atoka,Stringtown, Boggy Bottoms, Adel, Caney, Potato Hills and the queen of them all, Nanih Waihya." Wecoiuld find no place to eat until we got to Talihini. In the restaurant they had funny sayings on the wall. One that tickled my funny bone was this one: "Missing, one broke husband and a flea bit dog--25cents reward for the dog." We got home about 5. Russ had bought a lot of fireworks and that night, he shot a lot of roman candles and the other pretty things while Istood in the yard and watched. I really enjoyed watching the show.

Maggie and Tom Sullivan traveled to Chattanooga, Tennessee last week to go to Maggie's stepo-sister's funeral. It was a very long trip--they traveled 3000 miles that week. Then they got back to Russellville late ;last Saturday night. They went to church that Sunday. Then Tom went to his garden and gathered corn, okra. tomatoes, and beans .
Maggie washed the vegetables and Monday they left for Texas where they had intended to go before the funeral in Tenn. They got to my cousin Calton Highfill's on Mondayafternoon and presented them with the vegetables from their Ar. garden. Lucille fixed supper for them that night andthey sat up very late-visiting. Tuesday, Maggie and Tom left to go to San Antonio for Tom's Kiwanis meeting. ee, I bet that couple is tired.!

Meredith tells me they had a good revival at Harvey Assembly church.last week. John and his wife allowed the evangelist to stay in the former Bea Neighbor's house at Gravelly that John bought a couple of years ago.

I saw Orlan Ray Thomas at Fowler's at Plainview, Saturday. It was good talking to him. Orlan Ray says he plans to come to our F.V. reunion this October. I hope to see him there.

A lady named Rose from Ola called me last week to tell me how much she enjoyed my column in the Record. I was glad to hear from her. Also a lady at the Adventist Church in Ola is an R.N. in a Russellville hospital and she told me the nurses get the Record on Wednesday and turn to my column and really enjoy it. Makes me feel good!!

Some good advice-----Forgive your enemies--it messes up their heads!!


Post a Comment

<< Home