Monday, July 30, 2007

My hummng birds did not come back

Gravelly News by GlennaG oodson

One day while he wasat the race track betting on the ponies and nearly losing his shirt,
Mitch noticed a priest who stepped out onto the track and blessed the forehead of one of the horses lining up for the 4th race. Lo and behold, that horse--a very long shot--won the race.Mitch was most interested to see what the priest did the next race. Sure enough the priest stepped out onto the track as the 5th race horses lined up, and placed a blessing on the forehead of one of the horses. Mitch made a beeline for the window and places a small bet on the horse. Again, even though it was another long shot, the horse the priest had blessed, won the race. Mitch collected the winnings and anxiously waited to see which horse the priest would bless forthe 6th race. Mitch began to pull in some serious money as he bet on the horses the priest blessed. He knew his wildest dreams were gong to come true, he made a quick trip to the ATM, withdrew all his savings, and awaited the priest's blessing that wouldtell him which horse to bet on.. The priest stepped out onto the tract before the last race and blessed the forehead, eyes, ears, and hooves of one of the horses.
Mitch bet every cent he had and watched the horse come in dead last!! Mitch was dumbfounded. He made his way to the track and found the priest and demanded, "What happened, Father? Allday long you blessed horses andthey won. Now thanks to you I have lost all my savings!!" The priest nodded wisely andsaid "That's the problem with you Protestants, you can't tell the difference between a simple blessing and the Last Rites!!"

Bill andJanette Milligan were on vacation for 2 weeks. We missed them at Rover Baptist Church. I love to substitute for Janette at the piano but it's always good when she comes back and I'm sure the congregation says "Amen" to that!!

I got a chuckle out of Linda Beggs telling about the lady that took care of Eva Lynn's animals while they were gone and about her encounter with Blake's python. It took my mind back to when my grandson, Ryan, was about 10 and he begged me to buy him a Python from the pet store--I did--along with a fancy cage and a hot rock that the snake would curl up on. Ryan would want me to watch him feed the python. It was awful and I never watched but one time.. One time a friend of his mother's was cleaning their house. She got to Ryan's room--the snake's cage door was open and no snake could be seen--She went home immediately!!I wouldbuy the animals from the pet store for Ryan to feed the python. as the snake grew and it progressed to larger animals, I told Ryan when it was time to feed him those beautiful little chickens--that was the end. Ryan had the snake in the yard one day and a man walking along saw the snake and wanted to buy it. Praise the Lord, the snake was gone!!!!

I have been so sad this year because . Last year had 10 or 12 all the time but this year I have none. I keep changing my water and hope they will come back but they don't.I thought about going to Beda Sue Hogue's where there are dozens flying around andcatch them in a sack and bring them to my house!!

Paula and Steve Wiley are new additions to our Rover Baptist Church and to the community. They have rented Johnny Turner's house at Rover and Paula will teach special education at Danville this school year. They have two daughters who are 14 and 17. Steve is as crazy as Johnny Turner, so now we have two clowns ijn our church!!

My cousins from Ok, Mary Lee Sams, Sue Ann Cheatam and Billy Highfill traveled to LR ;last week to see their sister, Leah Hogan.Leah had a stroke a few months ago and is not doing very well so her siblings wanted to check on her.Bob, her husband, is doing a good job meeting leah's needs and we are thankful for him.

Iworked in our church's food pantry last week. We only had 3 people come but they went away with 3 big grocery bags for each family. I feel so good when we can help people this way. We are subsidized by Rice Depot and USDA and our church gives a lot.

This Sabbath at the Ola Adventist Church, Bo Hutchison preached a good message. Peggy andTom Jeys asked me to go home with them for lunch. Kelly Virbel, their granddaughter, and my special friend, went also. The lunch was delicious andthe visiting time was great.

I went to check on Betty Lampkin last Friday and took her some books. Betty is doing much better, health wise, and it sure was good to see her lookso well. Her 9 year old granddaughter, Ashton(isn't that a pretty name?) had visited her grandparents all week. Betty said Ashton had really been a lot of help for her. On my way back home andstill on the Bluff Road, I saw two deer alongside the road. Since the road is so rocky and in such bad shape, I was going very slowly and thankfully the deer bounded into the brush.That's the first time I have seen a deer on the highway since I hit the one a few months ago.

Remember the old Burma Shave signs along side the roads.? Here's a good one:
Brother speeder let's rehearse-----All together--Good morning ,Nurse


Post a Comment

<< Home